.22lr Quantity over Quality?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first time I’ve actually been interested in the .22lr and I’ve been stocking up on some ammo. I’ve stocked up a healthy number of CCI Mini Mags in the Varmint and Target variety. I have some bulk pack Aguila .22 Super Extra stuff and I have gotten a few 50 round boxes of some other Aguila stuff and some Norma stuff.

My question is should I keep making my stock of Mini Mags larger or should I go for some bulk pack stuff. I was reading up and people speak highly of the blue box Federal Champion 36gr Copper Plated Hollow point stuff.

Guess it all amounts to what my firearms like but what does OSA say on .22lr ammo?
I began with CCI, however, Aguila is good stuff too...it really depends on purpose and the firearms you have. For example, any PISTOL that you want to stake your life on, you should use the best quality, HV stuff you can. Minimags or better if the pistol can handle the hotter stuff. For a rifle and/or plinking, just keep the gun clean and see if it will run the cheapest stuff first...some semi-autos will even run the golden bullets but you have to verify. I won't mention bolt action LOL. You prob not gonna reach for 22 as first choice for defense anyway so I'd get a cache of CCI as you can but would also be looking for 50-75% of your total supply to be cheapest stuff that the gun you plink/practice with the most will run. This is depending on your budget verses how many rounds you want to stock up.

EDIT: Also, round nose is going to be the most reliable in rimfire generally speaking. But for cheaper bulk take what you can get, for minimags, bias towards round nose when available.

Last edited:

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Suggest you test shoot some of that Aguila! Keep in mind what I have was bought pre-covid time frame, but it's some filthy ****. I barely get past 100-125rnds in a plinking session before my 2 pistols start to drag and litely jam up. Hopefully your mileage will be different! Also, give the bulk box Federal Auto Match a try.
I've had a lot of misfires with the Aguila stuff. I stopped buying it. Can't speak for anyone else, but that's my experience.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How accurate do you find CCI and what is the next most accurate that you have found and how accurate is it?
I have the best results with the Target 40gr round nose at 50yds. I would say .5 moa at that distance and that is probably me and not the ammo. Shooting from a RPR and also a 10/22. Not that I own either. :) The next closest is the cci 36gr hp. I have yet to try sk or eley. The friends I shoot with use the sk brand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom