243 all around bullet choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to start load development for the 243 around January & use up the last of my primers sadly, I've always carried either a 25-06 or 223 so I'm splitting the difference & going 243.

My brass will be Lapua, imr 4064 powder, wcc mag primers ( because that's what I've got on hand ) I'd really like to use Nosler 90gr ballistic tip if I can find any available & if the rifle likes them. I'll make this my one round for coyotes & deer.

If I can't get my hands on the Nosler bt's I'm wondering what you other 243 shooters are loading bullet wise that you've had good results from as a dual purpose bullet. Thanks for your time

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to start load development for the 243 around January & use up the last of my primers sadly, I've always carried either a 25-06 or 223 so I'm splitting the difference & going 243.

My brass will be Lapua, imr 4064 powder, wcc mag primers ( because that's what I've got on hand ) I'd really like to use Nosler 90gr ballistic tip if I can find any available & if the rifle likes them. I'll make this my one round for coyotes & deer.

If I can't get my hands on the Nosler bt's I'm wondering what you other 243 shooters are loading bullet wise that you've had good results from as a dual purpose bullet. Thanks for your time
I shoot the .243 WSSM AR which is a little faster. The Noslers your looking at are great bullets. The same I’m using that has taken many deer.
I’m currently looking at loading some Barnes 80 grain TTSX boat tails. Solid copper rounds that should work really well, but haven’t got them to the range yet.
I use the Barnes in 30-06 elk hunting with a complete pass through even at long range.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
87 gr V-Max was my go to. I think that line has been discontinued.
My chamber is pretty snug around the neck and the Lapua cases needed to be neck turned to shoot good.

The ID on the fired Lapua cases were tight to the point they would hold a fresh bullet without resizing.
Winchester cases are my go to.

37.1-37.4 gr IMR 4064 was my load.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can get your hands on Varget powder give that a try, the last few 243’s I’ve had really liked it.

For bullet weights, well, I’ve only shot the 55 and 70 NBT, and 105 A-Max’s but all three performed great with the Varget.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
87 gr V-Max was my go to. I think that line has been discontinued.
My chamber is pretty snug around the neck and the Lapua cases needed to be neck turned to shoot good.

The ID on the fired Lapua cases were tight to the point they would hold a fresh bullet without resizing.
Winchester cases are my go to.

37.1-37.4 gr IMR 4064 was my load.
I actually saw some 87gr V-Max at Academy in Owasso last week and probably should have grabbed them. I was leaning heavily towards that bullet actually but the Nosler is a little tougher built bullet which I think might hold up better on deer if bone is struck but the V-Max is definitely an option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom