243 all around bullet choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback guy, I'm sticking with imr 4064 for now because I have some on hand and load it in my 30-30 when I load jacketed bullets & I'd like to just use one powder if I can get away with it , right now everything is so hard to get I may not get that option though.

Primers are what's killing me & I'm depleting my stock little by little, GunBroker has plenty but they're way over priced. I've emailed manufacturers from all over the planet looking for some but getting primers overseas hasn't been possible yet. My son's going to Air Force basic December 6th & if he gets stationed in Europe he's going to try and send me some if possible

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know that I ever found some really good loads with 4064 in my .243. I load 748 with 60 and 85-grainers and H4831 with 100-grain.
Did you play with your bullet seating depth much. I'm not really sure where to start to see if I can gain any ground with bullet seating depth once I find a powder. I thought about 6 thousands off the lands and work my way back a little bit. Obviously bullet selection will play into how far I set off the lands. If it'll shoot under three quarters of an inch with this factory barrel I'll live with it cuz I have plans to put a aftermarket barrel on eventually unless I can get this factory barrel to shoot acceptable

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you play with your bullet seating depth much. I'm not really sure where to start to see if I can gain any ground with bullet seating depth once I find a powder. I thought about 6 thousands off the lands and work my way back a little bit

That sounds reasonable to me. My common practice has been to start with the bullet just short of touching the lands and work up loads. If I get one close, but not quite where I want it, I will then play a little with seating depth. If I get a load staying within 1" at 100 yards (hunting rifles), I generally quit or make some very fine adjustments.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable to me. My common practice has been to start with the bullet just short of touching the lands and work up loads. If I get one close, but not quite where I want it, I will then play a little with seating depth. If I get a load staying within 1" at 100 yards (hunting rifles), I generally quit or make some very fine adjustments.
Thank you sir, appreciate it very much

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After many years of reloading, I really preferred 100 grn bullets over H4831 powder I loaded various brands of bullets in various cases and saw almost no difference in target impact Preferred the noslers for hunting Rare full penetration on Kansas deer
My thinking on the Lapua brass is mainly case life & initial case prep as it is reported to be best with Lapua in both cases.

How much accuracy does a guy have to have from a hunting rifle? I guess all I can get, I couldn't live with it if it won't group under an inch, if I can get a 1/2" I won't worry about a new barrel as long as this one shoots that way, but I'm getting the action blueprinted, lugs lapped and a M16 style extractor installed and replacing the stock do I'd be really surprised if with hand loads it won't suffice. I'm really stuck on 85-95 grain pills as the best compromise for a dual purpose rifle that'll see coyotes 75% and whitetail only 2 weeks a year. I've got to try 4064 since I have it already but you're not the first to recommend 4831

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom