243 is home.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to shoot light bullets out of it before I got a 223. I used varget with the 55gr bullets out of 243 and use it for my 223 loads. Its probably not the best but its pretty versatile. I was going to try something else but with that group and fps theres no need to. I used RL22 when i was trying to shoot a 105gr.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like Varget in .223. It's not temperature sensitive like other powders. Really consistent in any temps.
Haven't tried it in the .30 cals. RL-19 seems to work so well I don't want to change.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its supposed to be real stable but ive never tested it. I use RL22 in my 300 win mag so I already had some of it laying around. I really like that powder. I never tried 19 but seems like i wanted to for something I just dont remember what. If something works then stick with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I steered away from the 6mm family because in my younger days of hunting a buddy told me he shot deer with a .243 and they just walked away. He went to 7mm mag and said it knocked them over because it was so powerful. I was naive in that era. LOL

Spent many years in the .30 cal arena because it could take down any animal on earth and has done so.
If it did that, it was good enough for me. Killed deer after deer reliability
I got interested in long range, although the 30-06 was the King of the 1000 matches at Camp Perry at that time, I became enamored with small caliber, ultra fast rounds.
Rem 700 in .22-250 was my first. Factory 3700fps was on the shelf in 55 grain and it danged sure took down a deer at
400 yds, Lighter bullets for varmint exceeded 4000fps. Then started buying other small calibers.
I've done autopsies on well over 200 deer, and the lighter faster bullets have just as much destructive power as the .30 cals........if the right bullet is used.
If the wrong bullet is used, you get the same story as my buddy in the first of this post got. They walk away and die later. He and I both became educated over the years. He has gone back to the .243 vs the 7 mag.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I steered away from the 6mm family because in my younger days of hunting a buddy told me he shot deer with a .243 and they just walked away. He went to 7mm mag and said it knocked them over because it was so powerful. I was naive in that era. LOL

Spent many years in the .30 cal arena because it could take down any animal on earth and has done so.
If it did that, it was good enough for me. Killed deer after deer reliability
I got interested in long range, although the 30-06 was the King of the 1000 matches at Camp Perry at that time, I became enamored with small caliber, ultra fast rounds.
Rem 700 in .22-250 was my first. Factory 3700fps was on the shelf in 55 grain and it danged sure took down a deer at
400 yds, Lighter bullets for varmint exceeded 4000fps. Then started buying other small calibers.
I've done autopsies on well over 200 deer, and the lighter faster bullets have just as much destructive power as the .30 cals........if the right bullet is used.
If the wrong bullet is used, you get the same story as my buddy in the first of this post got. They walk away and die later. He and I both became educated over the years. He has gone back to the .243 vs the 7 mag.
but the 7mm rem mag is more fun to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom