260 to 308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickt300

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a put together Remington 700 in 260 Remington, not a super expensive set up but it is a tack driver. I have a few more than 500 match bullets to run through it which will coincide with being close to the end of the barrels accuracy life. I'm thinking about going to a Criterion 308 barrel. Reason being I have plenty of brass, both match and hunting bullets are usually available. The rifle as a 260 commonly makes groups in the .3 to .4 area. 3 shot groups commonly just under .3. Can I expect this kind of accuracy from a properly set up 308? It appears I may have posted this in the wrong forum but to fix it I will list my best shooting 260 load. Nosler brass, uniformed primer pockets and outside neck turned, 120 gr. Barnes Matchburner, 32.5 grains of I3031, Federal standard primer. It shoots the Hornady 140 grain BTHP almost as well using I4350. Don't use it as much because the other load just flat outshoots it every time but it is hard to complain about half inch groups.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Questions.
End of barrel accuracy life. Is this a known by you or what you hear.
I see you shoot 3 shot groups and if this is the norm because you like to keep barrel heat down you will have a very long barrel life.

Are you shooting in matches?
I do not but like the most accuracy I can get for hunting purposes.
Not allowing the barrel to heat to match barrel heat temps you may get thousands of rounds down the pipe and only see minimal accuracy differences if any at all.

I have read some take the 260 and cut it back a few threads and rechamber to 260AI when the accuracy goes a bit south.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@swampratt is correct, barrel heat + rate of fire + pressure will in due time bring a barrel to its end.
There is no magic bullet count. Generally you might see a speed reduction or groups slightly opening up when the barrel “starts” to go south but that in no way means it needs to be replaced. I’ve got over 2,500 rounds through a 7WSM with a Bartlein barrel. It’s gone from ~2950 fps to ~2887 fps and I’ve chased the lands some but it still shoots sub one half moa.
If you switch to a 308 and a quality barrel there shouldn’t be any reason why it couldn’t do 1/2 moa or better given the right load and shooter. Personally, I would stay with the 260 chambering.

Rickt300

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out to my Oklahoma property, did some work and some fishing. I have decided to burn the 500 bullets I have left and then decide. I don't shoot in any fast fire matches.

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. I'm assuming that you're going to do a prefit barrel since you mentioned Criterion. If you're taking it to a gunsmith, I might argue for a different brand...but I have a Criterion myself on a large frame AR and the accuracy is quite good.

2. Any good barrel on a trued action that has been and properly handloaded for *should* shoot a half minute or a bit better as long as you don't have some wierd stock or bedding situation. Since you state that you routinely produce groups in the .3s and .4s, then I don't see much difference occurring (mechanically) with the right components and same loading care.

However, the .308 is going to give you two areas of potential concern: wind drift, and increased recoil. The recoil can be controlled, and to be honest; I somewhat like the impulse of my .308 heavy barreled rifles...I can only explain it as a 1911 shooter who loves the impulse of the .45. The wind however is harder to overcome. It's a moot point if you're only shooting 100 yards, but at distance it is very noticeable.

Regarding the inherent accuracy of the .308: There are a few guys running around with F-T/R rifles that shoot ridiculously small 20 shot groups for record at 600 - 1000 yards. Keith Glasscock of "Winning in the Wind" on YouTube comes to mind...He posted a video of him shooting a clean match (3 x 20 shots for 60 total) with something like 40+ "X's" at 600 yards with a .308. For reference the X-ring is only 1/2 MOA, so 3". I've watched a load development video of that rifle where it put 3 shots into the .1s and .2s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom