.270 for a novice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grand-nephew is getting his first rifle. Wants a .270, bolt, new or used. Limited dollars. He asked for my help. Wrong guy to ask on this type weapon, but old Uncle Ron is on the hook.

Suggestions?

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a savage 110, with a bushnell scope, a few years back off armslist for around $350....It was an accurate shooter and took several deer with it before selling it for the same price I paid.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
What age? Why does he want a .270? How serious is he about shooting? Does he like his shoulder with or without bruising?

My first gun was a Rem 700 with plastic stock no scope in 270 and I hated it. Too much power in too lightweight of a package for a new shooter.

If he really wants a .270, I’d recommend something with a heavier wood stock and a scope. Give it some weight that way to dampen the recoil some.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What age? Why does he want a .270? How serious is he about shooting? Does he like his shoulder with or without bruising?

My first gun was a Rem 700 with plastic stock no scope in 270 and I hated it. Too much power in too lightweight of a package for a new shooter.

If he really wants a .270, I’d recommend something with a heavier wood stock and a scope. Give it some weight that way to dampen the recoil some.
He’s shot his uncles 270 and liked it. Just needs a less expensive option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom