This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
"Shooting the barrel out" of a swift is yesteryear folklore, unless you're actually shooting a rifle that was made in the mid 30's when it was introduced. There's a dozen cartridges out there now that shoot just as fast and barrel life doesn't prevent anyone from buying them. Any rifle out there can be rebarreled, so dont let that be a deciding factor.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Swift is only 100 or so FPS faster than a .22-250 and the .204 Ruger outruns it.
The plain old .243 running a 55 grain will exceed 4000 fps. Variants of the .243 will run over 4100 fps.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt with and really like the Weatherby .257 magnum round. Just wish some of the Weatherby rounds were a little more common.

To the OP, I have no clue on the Swift but am interested in what others toss out here.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I haven’t found much faster than 220 Swift?

Yeah those 4200fps velocities are with 40gr pills. 55gr pills (3900fps) along side the .22-250, .243, 6mm rem, 22-243, 243wssm, 223wssm, 240 weatherby, 22 Cheetah (really fast!) are all right there in the same ball park or faster. I've had quite a bit of experience with the swift in a Ruger no1 and the Ruger target rifle, both shot fantastic.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.17 Remington

Buddy has one in the AR platform. It's a screamer.
The 30-06 Accelerator will keep up with the swift or slightly outrun it. I've got about 50 reloaded so far, with more components to load more if I don't see signs of pressure.
They aren't very accurate at longer ranges though. I think the sabot doesn't align perfectly with the rifling, but it's well over 4000 fps.
Wildcatters got the .223 WSSM up to almost 5000 fps at one time.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have had a few Swifts, have put several thousand rounds through them, and like 'em alot.

Have also had a couple of rifles chambered for the .22-250 Ackley Improved and would suggest that instead of the Swift. You can use the Swift load data for the 22-250AI, for same velocities but with better case life.

The Swift was/is considered to be the King of varmint cartridges, and the 22-250AI is a ballistic twin of the Swift.

They are fun to use, can deflate a coyote immediately (DRT), and make a rifle seem almost laser-like within 400 yards with good varmint loads.

IMO, if you back off the throttle a little bit, AND avoid shooting several rounds in a short period of time (excessive barrel heating), your barrel life should be pretty good.

Suggest you plan on a barrel length not less than 26".

Newbies like the little 40gr bullets (cause they can spit them out the muzzle at higher velocity), but the 55gr bullets (and up) is what really separates the Swift as a top varmint round from the lesser crap, IMO.

My liking for the 17 Rem was very brief, some difficulty with fouling, and reloading was not enjoyable, very small case so it is difficult to be consistent with loads (a small change makes a significant difference). Also since my hands are not exactly small, reloading seemed difficult/tedious/etc. Life with the 204 Ruger seemed better to me, and was fun to use on an AR platform. But I no longer have a .17Rem or a .204Ruger, am happy with .223 and it is relatively cheap and easy to reload.

I still have a .243Win (built for PRS), and short barrel life is a consideration if you shoot a lot, competition loads with 115gr DTACs will toast a bore in about 1200 rounds (sometimes earlier) but I like it and have no urge to build a Dasher or any other 6mm new "miracle" cartridge flavor of the month.

Last edited:

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple Swift’s. It’s a great round. One is an older Remington 721 a ruger no. 1 and a Remington 700 vssf
I have put a lot of fur on the stretcher with that round. Remington still produces the varmint stainless synthetic fluted vssf. It’s easy to reload for. Varget and h414 are great powders. The 721 wears a hart barrel now. I have logged over 2500 rounds in my vssf and it shows minimal throat erosion. My 700 likes to be shot dirty until it opens up a little. Then clean thoroughly foul with about 20 rounds then it shoots great for around 200 rounds. My NO. 1 likes to be clean. I prefer it to the 22-250 and many other .224” rounds the only ones that get close are the 224 Weatherby and the 22 creedmoor and 22-243. Barrels are easily replaced if your a high volume shooter. Most people never shoot enough to worry about replacing the barrel. But if you do it’s part of the price for speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom