2wd vs 4wd ATV's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ATV Laws In Oklahoma January 2006
OPERATION ON STREETS AND ROADWAYS
Oklahoma Statute 47-1151
Section E
“ . . . The provisions of this subsection shall also apply to those motor-driven or operated vehicles known as ‘all-terrain vehicles’, which are manufactured principally for use off the roads. All-terrain vehicles may be operated on unpaved roads which are located within the boundaries of any property of the Forest Service of the United States Department of Agriculture. Also, all-terrain vehicles may operate upon the public streets and highways of this state under the following circumstances:
1. An all-terrain vehicle may be operated upon public streets and highways if the vehicle needs to make a direct crossing of the street or highway while the vehicle is traveling upon a regularly traveled trail and needs to continue travel from one area of the trail to another and if the vehicle comes to a complete stop, yields the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard, and crosses the street or highway at an angle of approximately ninety (90) degrees to the direction of the street or highway. This exception shall not apply to divided highways or streets or highways with a posted speed limit of more than thirty-five (35) miles per hour in the area of the crossing;
2. The operator of the all-terrain vehicle making the crossing at a street or highway has a valid driver license; and
3. The operation of the vehicle making a crossing on a street or highway occurs during daylight hours only.”
Section H
“Anyone violating any of the provisions heretofore enumerated in this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than Ten Dollars ($10.00) and not to exceed One Hundred Dollars ($100.00).”
47-1151.1.B
“Except as otherwise provided in this section and pursuant to the exception provided in subsection E of Section 1151 of this title, golf carts or all-terrain vehicles shall not be operated on the highways or turnpikes of the state.”
47-1151.1.C
“All-terrain vehicles owned by a city or golf carts may be operated on city streets if:
1. The municipal governing body has adopted an ordinance governing the operation of golf carts or all-terrain vehicles on city streets; and

2. Operation occurs during daylight hours only.”
REGISTRATION Enrolled House Bill 1297
Section 1102.1 “‘All-terrain vehicle’” means a motorized vehicle manufactured and used exclusively for off-highway use which is sixty (60) inches or less in width, with an unladen dry weight of one thousand five hundred (1,500) pounds or less, traveling on two or more low-pressure tires”
Section 1113.A.1 “ . . .The Oklahoma Tax Commission shall assign an all-terrain vehicle or motorcycle used exclusively off roads and highways a distinctive number and issue to the owner a certificate of registration and a decal but not a license plate. For each subsequent registration year, the Tax Commission shall issue a yearly decal to be affixed to the license plate, except for an all-terrain vehicle or motorcycle used exclusively off roads and highways. The initial decal for an all-terrain vehicle or motorcycle shall be attached to the front of the all-terrain vehicle and shall be in clear view. The decal shall be on the front or on the front fork of the motorcycle used exclusively off roads and highways and the decal shall be in clear view.”
Section 1113, Section 5.A “Except as otherwise provided by this section, all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles used exclusively off roads or highways shall be registered once with the Oklahoma Tax Commission within thirty (30) days after purchase.”
Section 1113, Section 5.B “For all-terrain vehicles or motorcycles used exclusively off roads or highways purchased prior to July 1, 2005, registration, as otherwise required by Section 1115 of Title 47 of the Oklahoma Statutes, shall not be required, but shall be allowed at the option of the owner of the all-terrain vehicle or motorcycle used exclusively off roads or highways.”
Section 1113, Section 5.C “All-terrain vehicles or motorcycles used exclusively off roads or highways owned or purchased by a person that possesses an agricultural exemption pursuant to Section 1358.1 of Title 68 of the Oklahoma Statutes may be registered as provided by this section, but shall not require registration.”
Section 1132.B “For all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles used exclusively for use off roads or highways purchased on or after July 1, 2005, and for all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles used exclusively for use off roads or highways purchased prior to July 1, 2005, which the owner chooses to register pursuant to the provisions of Section 5 of this act, an initial and nonrecurring registration fee of Eleven Dollars ($11.00) shall be assessed at the time of initial registration by the owner. Nine Dollars ($9.00) of the registration fee shall be deposited in the Oklahoma Tax Commission Reimbursement Fund. Two Dollars ($2.00) of the registration fee shall be retained by the motor license agent
word salad...still no clear answer.

- a man bought a 1995 4-wheeler new in 1995 and he still owns it; what then?
- a man bought a 2001 4-wheeler used in 2004 and he still owns it; what then?
- a man bought 2007 4-wheeler new in 2007 and he still owns it; what then?
- a man bought 2004 4-wheeler used in 2010 and wants to sell it in 2023; what then?
- a man bought a 2009 4-wheeler new in 2009 and wants to sell in 2023; what then?
- a man inherited a 1984 3-wheeler in 2005; what then?
- a man was given a 1988 4-wheeler in 2014; what then?
- a man was given a 2015 4-wheeler in 2023; what then?
- ETC, ETC

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After looking at the 200SX 3 wheeler I remembered why I have a selectable 4x4 and 2wd only 4 wheeler. The 2WD only has non aggressive tires and does the yard work without tearing up as much grass.
The three wheelers can turn way inside the turning radius of a 4 wheeler. As you can see in the pic, I use mine for spreading fertilizer on the lawn and other chores. When it's time to go to the thick woods, the 3 wheeler gets the nod. A couple blips of the throttle, and you can basically circle a tree with the front wheel facing it all the way.
The straight axle on a three wheeler will tear up some grass if one doesn't tip it on its side to get that outside wheel off the ground a tad.
We need to have a little Sahara State Park Eat and ride sometime for OSA members and guests.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOVE the 3-wheeler, I have an 85 200x I am working on freshening up. The 85 250sx is my dream 3-wheeler if I could ever find one I could afford. I grew up on 3-wheelers; wish I still had all of them!

For the older stuff, it is my understanding you could still take the VIN to a tag agent and have a title issued if you wanted proof of ownership.
Your correct, and I'm remiss in not doing so, but that ride is in a pretty secure location.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Red is aliiiiive!!!
Red has just under 1700 miles and green just over 1700 miles. Red has spent more time on trails and green on gravel roads....while they have basically the same miles, red has twice as many hours.

20230506_122152.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom