2wd vs 4wd ATV's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah that Honda about what I wanted...didn't you get that one here?

As for the larger ones, I agree...why get a SxS sized motor in a 4-wheeler? If you need that much power you may as well pony up and get what you really need and have a dump bed, etc.
I bought the Honda off a TX hunting message board from a hobby farmer.
IMG_3201.jpeg

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how do you read that?

Does it mean that if you bought one new in 2004 you are good but if you want to sell it now you need to register it?

I called a tag agent today and they were not much help but they "seemed" to indicate that if you buy ANY used ATV no matter how old, you need to bring the VIN into the tag agency and register for a title with the state. But so far no answer is clear to me.

If I learn I can buy a used ATV older than 2005 without needing to then go create a new title after the sale then I would probably limit my shopping to older units. BUT if ANY used ATV I buy will require to be taken to tag agency then I may as well get something newer...can anyone clarify this further?
I think I'm not much more help than the lady at the tag agency but here's my understanding. If the ATV was bought before 2005, THAT owner can sell it without a title. The purchaser doesn't have to title it especially if keeping on the farm. How would they know since it's never been registered? This is the case on ours. Hadn't been registered, bought before the 2005 cutoff date, sold without a title(just bill of sale).

If you buy an ATV and it has been registered, I think you'll have to change registration over to your name in order to have a clear title. If it hasn't ever been titled regardless of year, I think you just pay cash, get a bill of sale and go on your merry way.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could probably get along with 2wd and a winch. I’d probably be calling for help often with only 2wd. The 4wd also helps dragging stuff. I wouldn’t personally buy a full time 4wd. I don’t like the way the steering is affected by the front wheels constantly pulling. Power steering is very nice especially in 4wd.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So how do you read that?

Does it mean that if you bought one new in 2004 you are good but if you want to sell it now you need to register it?

I called a tag agent today and they were not much help but they "seemed" to indicate that if you buy ANY used ATV no matter how old, you need to bring the VIN into the tag agency and register for a title with the state. But so far no answer is clear to me.

If I learn I can buy a used ATV older than 2005 without needing to then go create a new title after the sale then I would probably limit my shopping to older units. BUT if ANY used ATV I buy will require to be taken to tag agency then I may as well get something newer...can anyone clarify this further?

I read that as "Anything newer than July 1, 2005 requires a title and registration."

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, and rarely even know what I'm doing. So there's that.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'm not much more help than the lady at the tag agency but here's my understanding. If the ATV was bought before 2005, THAT owner can sell it without a title. The purchaser doesn't have to title it especially if keeping on the farm. How would they know since it's never been registered? This is the case on ours. Hadn't been registered, bought before the 2005 cutoff date, sold without a title(just bill of sale).

If you buy an ATV and it has been registered, I think you'll have to change registration over to your name in order to have a clear title. If it hasn't ever been titled regardless of year, I think you just pay cash, get a bill of sale and go on your merry way.
Well what I want to know is if all ATV's now have to have a "state sticker" on them like the lady was saying? If that is the case then if you ever took the bike (no matter what year) in your truck and got pulled over, then what would stop the gov't from just consfiscating it right there? The ATV laws in OK "seem" to be intentionally amibuous just like the ATF rules.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thinking is it's better to have 4wd and not need it as opposed to the other way around. The State sticker proves that you are the owner and that it's not stolen. My 500 Suzuki King Quad with 4wd, lockers, and power steering is perfect.

Attachments

• 20230311_140133.jpg
    20230311_140133.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well what I want to know is if all ATV's now have to have a "state sticker" on them like the lady was saying? If that is the case then if you ever took the bike (no matter what year) in your truck and got pulled over, then what would stop the gov't from just consfiscating it right there? The ATV laws in OK "seem" to be intentionally amibuous just like the ATF rules.
I have a Ranger at my OK place that my Dad bought new in 2009 or 10, and to the best of my knowledge, it has never been registered. I’ve bought two Rangers from my Uncle in Edmond, and I’m pretty sure both were registered when bought new but both are now here in TX and unregistered.

I only use my 4 wheeler and Rangers around my place, so I’m not going to the trouble of registering them. However, if I had the intention of trailer them to ride trails somewhere or go to ATV parks, I would go ahead and get the sticker.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you buy an atv you will receive a manufacturers statement of origin. That is what you take to the tag office along with the bill of sale to title and register it. That gets you a registration sticker that is required to use it at any state owned atv offroad facilities. The state wants you to register it because that is where they gig you for the excise tax. It is like buying a boat. If you only plan to use it on you own pond it is not required you register it, you just can't use it on any state or federal lakes or waterways.

If you do not register it, you will have a great deal of difficulty if you were to ever want to trade it in for something else at a dealership. They will require you to title it first and pay the penalties from the date of purchase. You would be able to sell it to a private party as long as they are ok with it not being titled, but it likely would lower the resale value.

As far as hauling it around in your truck, it would be like hauling a jonboat around without any registration numbers on it. If you were ever to be questioned about it, as long as you could produce the MS of Orig. and bill of sale you would probably get by, but I can't promise that in all cases.

Many don't register their atv as they only plan to use it on their farm or other private property.

Latest posts

Top Bottom