3 balls from a 12 or 2 balls from a 50

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several hundred 12 ga felt wads one could stack between balls to simulate the bullet train. Pour some cornmeal or something around them to keep centered in the shell.
Edit: If swampratt wants to try some, I'll mail them for free.

I have leather and cork wads I make with a punch for this.
I have all sizes of punches I made from worn out 12 point sockets.
Just sharpen them with a hard stone.
Thanks for thinking of me though.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to shoot some of these 3 ball loads yesterday and some observations.
If the shot cup does not fit the shotshell snugly some of this flake powder will migrate between shot cup sides and the shell.
I can see through these loos fitting new shells and see the powder.

That made for poor accuracy.

.530 round ball X3 with 28 gr Blue Dot 2 shots fired 1,037 fps and 1,040 fps.
31 gr same load 1142 fps.
.490" round ball x3 31 gr. Blue Dot 1140 fps.
Accuracy for those at 50 yards was HORRIBLE. To the point I would not shoot at anything besides a car door and you may hit the mirror or the door handle or the rocker panel.

Next up was a snug fitting shell and accuracy improved about 4" apart.
28 gr of BD .490" x3 and Remington Gun Club cases 1,068 and 1,070 fps.

FPS was measured at 25 feet from the muzzle.
These loads will core a single hole in the paper at 50 yards.
I found 1 shot cup and it was broke in 1/2 at 1/2" up the base ?

I will try a different shotgun and make all of them in tight fitting shells.
And no cork on top and only 28 gr of powder for the next tests at 31 gr just kicks too hard and I
do not feel the 80-100 fps more is really going to make any difference on a critter if i hit one with this load.

They core a hole in paper but part of the wad hits paper sideways.
This was 50 yards.
002.JPG

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep click on that.

I have been torturing my 12 gauge with different slug loads and one I found very accurate was 3 round balls
in a Ranger Plus Unslit shot cup.
I was running .490" round balls and I recently built some .530 round balls x3 loads.

Next outing they are getting sent down range.

I got to thinking HHHMMM those in the 12 shot very well and are 176 gr each and then thought 50 cal muzzleloader 2 patched balls instead of just one. Just 352 gr.
Yea I googled that and it is a common thing. and works well.
Research before you play my games.

I googled 3 round balls for 12 gauge and wouldn't you know it . Nothing new here.
Cool video I found. Of course they test all kinds of odd ball things.

:)

I've been watching that YouTube channel for years. If you want ideas for 12g slug designs, just watch the back catalog of videos.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody try stacking mini balls or hollow backed BP sabot rounds?:screwy:
It’d be my luck the chasing projectiles would expand the hollow base of the leading projectile. The stacked wedge would cause an over pressure situation and I’d end up with a
part sticking out of my forehead. Of course, that’s just my luck and you’re probably gonna be fine. Make sure the camera is running just in case.... SCIENCE!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’d be my luck the chasing projectiles would expand the hollow base of the leading projectile. The stacked wedge would cause an over pressure situation and I’d end up with a
part sticking out of my forehead. Of course, that’s just my luck and you’re probably gonna be fine. Make sure the camera is running just in case.... SCIENCE!!!
I did a lengthy review of the Taurus Judge on here years ago. The .410 pellets that were stacked in a row did indeed hit the pellets ahead of them and turn them into discs. Lead was way too soft.
Federal among probably others have made the lead harder and copper coated them with some buffer which helped with the flyers, but the rifling at the end of the muzzle to make it a pistol cannot be defeated to assure a tight group at ranges beyond a few yards.
Maybe with a flight control wad that has no petals to hold the pellets in place when exiting the muzzle, but that hasn't been put on the market yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom