3-Gun for IDPA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you read their rules?

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPA_DMG_rules_07062010.pdf

Less shooting, no movement, 10 rounds or less of shotgun per stage and you gotta conceal your long guns in a trench coat.

Just kidding about the concealment.

Thing thing that I dislike most about IDPA and all the forced rules is the limit on round count. Most gun fights are under 10 rounds so why shoot 18? If the reason is more shooting is just more practice them why limit it to only 18?

I am all for lower round counts to encourage shooters with less ammo budget to shoot too. Its just hard to spend $50 on gad to druve to tulsa to shoot $20 in ammo. With tgatcsaud I know Jerry puts in a good match so ill give it shot because i love me some 3 gun.

I think you will get more shooters with USPSA or outlaw 3 gun rules.

Actually, movement is required for at least 5% of all shots in an IDPA match. Movement is restricted to no more than 15 yards in each stage to prevent it from becoming a foot race.

The reason for the 18 rounds per string of fire is more about equipment than ammo. They set IDPA up so that those who live in retarded states (with a magazine restriction) could compete head to head using 10 rd mags, against the rest of us who live in free states. The 18 rounds total is so that someone on a budget could show up with a gun and two or three mags and still be able to complete each course of fire. Same for a guy with a revolver and two speedloaders.

You can literally be competitive in IDPA with $600 in gun & gear. The same money in USPSA might not get you to the end of a large field course. I'll admit that some of the rules are retarded, such as all reloads must begin and end behind cover if cover is available in the stage. We try to counter some of the dumber rules through intelligent course design. Overall, IDPA was designed with the self defense user in mind. This is why IDPA is currently growing much faster than USPSA, and will likely eclipse them in the near future on total membership.

I realize that it's difficult to justify driving a long distance to shoot 80-125 rounds at a pistol match, which is another reason I prefer to run a dual format for DMG. With that, you'll get 150+ pistol rounds, and close to the max allowed number of long gun shots over 6 stages. We'll also allow non-IDPA legal guns to compete in "Outlaw Division". Hopefully these allowances will be attractive enough to bring the shooters out. :thumb:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I've shot 3 IDPA matches now and like it. Any shooting is good shooting and the more matches, the better. We're pretty fortunate to have as many as we do in OK.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, movement is required for at least 5% of all shots in an IDPA match. Movement is restricted to no more than 15 yards in each stage to prevent it from becoming a foot race.

The reason for the 18 rounds per string of fire is more about equipment than ammo. They set IDPA up so that those who live in retarded states (with a magazine restriction) could compete head to head using 10 rd mags, against the rest of us who live in free states. The 18 rounds total is so that someone on a budget could show up with a gun and two or three mags and still be able to complete each course of fire. Same for a guy with a revolver and two speedloaders.

You can literally be competitive in IDPA with $600 in gun & gear. The same money in USPSA might not get you to the end of a large field course. I'll admit that some of the rules are retarded, such as all reloads must begin and end behind cover if cover is available in the stage. We try to counter some of the dumber rules through intelligent course design. Overall, IDPA was designed with the self defense user in mind. This is why IDPA is currently growing much faster than USPSA, and will likely eclipse them in the near future on total membership.

I realize that it's difficult to justify driving a long distance to shoot 80-125 rounds at a pistol match, which is another reason I prefer to run a dual format for DMG. With that, you'll get 150+ pistol rounds, and close to the max allowed number of long gun shots over 6 stages. We'll also allow non-IDPA legal guns to compete in "Outlaw Division". Hopefully these allowances will be attractive enough to bring the shooters out. :thumb:

You are a genius Jerry! A pistol match and a 3 gun match will be worth the drive for sure.

I still question how defensvie a 3 gun match really is though. How many real world gun fights with non LE have required the person defending themselves to fight through 3 guns? I'm sure it has happened but its not something anyone of us will likely ever have happen. Sorry, I just love pointing out the absurdity of the idea behind these matches being defensive rather than a mear shooting competition. To me its all the same. We like to shoot so lets f'ing shoot and not worry about why we should shoot one way or another, right? Its all about getting faster with the steel no matter how much pie you slice.

I've shot 3 IDPA matches now and like it. Any shooting is good shooting and the more matches, the better. We're pretty fortunate to have as many as we do in OK.

Amen to that Mr. Cox!!!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are a genius Jerry! A pistol match and a 3 gun match will be worth the drive for sure.

I still question how defensvie a 3 gun match really is though. How many real world gun fights with non LE have required the person defending themselves to fight through 3 guns? I'm sure it has happened but its not something anyone of us will likely ever have happen. Sorry, I just love pointing out the absurdity of the idea behind these matches being defensive rather than a mear shooting competition. To me its all the same. We like to shoot so lets f'ing shoot and not worry about why we should shoot one way or another, right? Its all about getting faster with the steel no matter how much pie you slice.

Amen to that Mr. Cox!!!

I doubt we'd ever use all three guns in a single string of fire. Mostly it will be pistol/rifle, pistol/shotgun. But never say never I guess! :)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know I don't read good.

Those rules do seem way ridiculous. Do you ever shoot steel targets in IDPA?

Yes. There's a max percentage per stage and IIRC, no more than 25% of the match round count may be on steel.

We'll mostly use steel for the shotgun stages, except for the small amount of slugs, which will be on paper.

John Z Sr.

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Good points, but in our area, the regular monthly USPSA match ( 7 stages with around 150 round count) has an average attendance of 100+ with 140+ during the nicer months, and the local IDPA matches seem to be at around 70 rounds with 40-60 shooters. I think folks like to shoot more, just my opinion

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points, but in our area, the regular monthly USPSA match ( 7 stages with around 150 round count) has an average attendance of 100+ with 140+ during the nicer months, and the local IDPA matches seem to be at around 70 rounds with 40-60 shooters. I think folks like to shoot more, just my opinion

Well I'd like to shoot more too! We have a match of some kind or another almost every weekend day of the month around here and sometimes more than one. You could literally go through 1K per month or more in ammo at matches alone!

Now I just need to find an ammo sponsor! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom