30-30 for bear by Buffalo bore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=222

Want you guys input on this round.
Going to Montana for vacation this year and have been looking at 45-70's. While studying different ammo I found this 30-30 round and need some input from someone who knows more about bear than I do(none except what I have read).
Son already has a 30-30 and if you guys think this will work it will leave me free to spend more on a back up pistol and free up time for me to find the right deal.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this a new product? If it is, Id let some other brave soul test it out and review it. Otherwise, Id go with the 45-70. Grizzlies are protected in Montana so I'm thinking that not a lot of grizzlies have been shot by that 30-30 to know. Having gone Elk hunting in Montana, my father in law always had at least a 45-70 specifically for grizzly defense.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Is this a new product? If it is, Id let some other brave soul test it out and review it. Otherwise, Id go with the 45-70. Grizzlies are protected in Montana so I'm thinking that not a lot of grizzlies have been shot by that 30-30 to know. Having gone Elk hunting in Montana, my father in law always had at least a 45-70 specifically for grizzly defense.

Have read several articles where people in Alaska are using these, have read more of the "my sisters cousins uncle" says your crazy if you dont carry a bazooka LOL. Hard to find info on the net cause every one is willing to put out second,third and fourth hand info. I am with you on the 45-70, but if I can find some good info other than speculation........ Was trying to read the forums at S&W from a guy who was putting out his first hand experience with 170 gr noslers but so much crap going on the forum, the page continually jumped all over the page.
Read enough at this point that I am about out on this, but if some of the guys on here bring good info on these I might try it. Half the problem is I have always wanted a 45-70 lever gun so it will have to be a pretty good referral LOL

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I dunno (never even saw a grizzly in the wild), but I'd think 12ga magnum slugs might be more effective.

That is a hard-hitting 30-30 round, but at $64 a box, you could buy whatever gun ya wanted if you plan to shoot 'em much.

Just my 2 cents. :anyone:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So.... I am a 30-30 guy through and through, I have a 1954 Winchester model 94 my Godfather gave me and have hunted extensively with it for many years. While the ammo you speak of is hot and heavy, it is not a 45-70.
300 gr. JHP (2,000 fps 2,664 ft.lbs.) 45-70 Buffalo Bore

190 GR. JFN @ (2100 FPS 1860 FT.LBS.) 30-30 Buffalo Bore

Bigger bullet traveling the same speed with much more butt!!! I would go with the 45-70 YMMV.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean its an excuse to buy a nice rifle in a CLASSIC caliber...I say take it and run. Go grab ya a nice 45-70!!!

13511026_1209122459132981_2254520385338014481_n.jpg

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is somewhat off subject but statisticly bear spray has been proven to be more effective than firearms in stopping bear charge/attack. Unless you can put a round into the central nervous system of a bear ending the charge/attack, plan on getting mauled severely or killed. Most bear human encounters resulting in injury resulted from a surprised bear and short attack distance. These are two items that are not favorable for those using a firearm.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scrap the idea of the .30/.30, for you would just piss off a mad bear.

Up until 2 years ago my brother, James, spent two to three months each year hunting and fishing the wilderness high country of Montana. If you search about bear maulings in Montana, you can read about a couple of his friends.

Here is an excerpt from my uncle's obit about Alaska critters: " He continued his Air Force career for 28 years as an officer and pilot. Among the many planes he flew were the P-47, the F-82 Twin Mustang, the F-89 Scorpion, the F-86 Sabre Jet and the F-102. The F-102 Delta Dagger was an interceptor aircraft built as part of the backbone of the United States Air Force's air defenses in the late 1950’s. It was the world's first supersonic all-weather jet interceptor and the first operational delta-wing aircraft used by the Air Force.

In 1960 the Air Force sent him to Alaska, land of his dreams. He loved flying there; the pristine vastness of the wilderness and plethora of wildlife he could experience thrilled him every day. An avid fisherman and hunter, he began studying and preparing to become a licensed game guide. This required many levels of rigorous testing, all of which he passed on the first try. He bought acreage 128 miles outside of Anchorage and established a hunting headquarters. He and Meg lived in a campsite alongside the runway. His clients were housed at Eureka Lodge, across the narrow two lane highway that is the Alcan, the only highway traversing Alaska. He bought two light aircraft, a Piper Super Cub and a Cessna 180. These were bush aircraft, tough workhorses that could carry men and supplies into a hunting site, and the meat and fish they procured back out. In summer one plane would be on floats for river and lake landings and the other on huge donut inflated tires capable of landing on the roughest of Tundra airstrips. In winter the floats were changed to skis for landing on frozen lakes. After retiring from the Air Force in 1968 he spent the next 15 years working as a guide. He fished for many species of salmon in the rivers and tributaries of Alaska and the small elusive and wily grayling of the inland waters. He hunted all of interior Alaska and the Bearing Sea. He guided clients for polar, brown, black and grizzly bear along with caribou, elk, moose, Dahl sheep, mountain goat and wolves. When he retired from guiding he had flown over 18,000 hours, 8,000 in the military and 10,000 as a Bush pilot.

An early conservationist he was constantly aware of the ebb and flow of native wildlife. If salmon runs were down, he cut back on fishing and urged his clients to catch and release. He quit hunting black and polar bear several years before they were proclaimed endangered and taken off the hunt list. Clean quick kills were the hallmark of his trade. if a client wounded an animal he would track it, often alone as he had the stamina and skill, until it was killed. He would then field dress the meat, saving the pelt or antlers and pack it out alone."

Our family has known and encountered pissed off bears. Without knowing where you plan to go, or what you plan to do, I would suggest: Be overly aware of your surroundings if you are in "real" brown or grizzly country especially if hiking carrying a heavy pack. Carry at least 2 cans of bear spray within your immediate reach. Carry a 3" or 4" barrel revolver of .44 mag to .470 range. If you prefer a pistol, the 10mm is the current choice over a .45. Keep the backup sidearm where you can draw it from a sitting or standing position. If you can carry a long gun, the best defense against a bear is still a 500 or 870 model 12 ga. with an 18"-24" barrel and full tube extension loaded with 3" shells of #00 and slugs together. Forget center mass.....remember "brain".

The best way to avoid bear trouble is simply to stay the heck away from their turf. Most actual bear attacks happen within 20 to 50 feet, and happen quickly. In less than 5 seconds a large grizzly can have you down. In some parts of Montana, medical help is up to three days away....if they can find you.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are talking about the big dangerous bears up close I'd have a 12ga loaded with Brennke magnum slugs. Some of the 1 1/4oz Federals would be a 2nd choice. Avoid any sabot or plain foster type. You want big, hard, heavy and fast. Be sure to test you gun and make sure the eject the hulls properly. If you are actually hunting them I'd be all over a .375 H&H but many other rifles work too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom