1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

30-30 for bear by Buffalo bore

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by okierider, Oct 6, 2017.

1. SdoubleA

SdoubleA Sharpshooter

Yep, spray is best. As I mentioned earlier, carry at least two cans up front and handy...one for each hand. Use in case of emergency, follow up with a suitable chaser properly located in the brain.

For a decent way to test your "bear rig" do this:
    Go to an uncrowded indoor range. Attach a paper target to the carrier, and set at 50 feet. Secure your hand gun or long gun in a similar fashion you may be in while you are hiking or whatever. Now, have someone trip a fast retrieval on the target and see how many decent "holes" you place before the "bear" has you down.

Sounds easy doesn't it? Try it a few times, and then set the carrier at 25 feet and try again. Now repeat the process with spray.

Bottom line is "stay out of bear country". Enjoy them at the zoo.

******NO...I do not really recommend doing the above with "live" ammo or real spray. It does prove a point however.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. okierider

okierider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    LOL ! So you are saying stay out of anywhere you may run into something dangerous!!! I for one am going to enjoy life and be as prepared as I can be to deal with what "could" happen. I wear a seat belt cause I may have an accident, i wear a life preserver cause I could drown. Staying out of the woods because I may run into a bear is not living, it is existing and waiting to die old healthy and bored!! I would rather take a chance of a bear encounter than sit by and watch life pass me by.
    I will prepare ,I will be aware and I will enjoy my life with out fearing the maybe's.

RETOKSQUID and D. Hargrove like this.
  3. SdoubleA

SdoubleA Sharpshooter

Nope, not saying that at all. If you want to go into real grizzly country, I can give you detailed topos to go by. Heck, take your .30/.30 along as well.

I will state there is a difference between just being in the woods, and being in real grizzly country.

4. okierider

okierider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Nope I have read enough at this point to know it will be a 12 gauge to back up the bear spray!!! Also I am going to be in the woods but doubt it will be in the deep woods, I am going on vacay to relax and see the sights not a cross country trek through bear country.
    30-30 was out as soon as I read the game wardens said don't.
    Should have paid a little more attention to you previous thread where you said " stay out of bear country" Because I should have caught your meaning, cause you are right about the difference!! Still going to prepare like I am going to bear country though, cause it is Montana and there be bear!!

SdoubleA and D. Hargrove like this.
  5. saddlebum

saddlebum Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Last time I was in Alaska (long ago) a bunch of the indigenous people I meet were carrying sks rifles, presumably because they were cheap.

I find it curious that people will say 30-30 isn't enough and suggest a 44 magnum pistol
    30-30 Winchester firing Remington Core-Lokt 170gr SP

Velocity (ft/sec)
    Muzzle - 2200
    100 yd - 1895
    200 yd - 1619
    300 yd - 1381

Energy (ft. lbs.)
    Muzzle - 1827
    100 yd - 1355
    200 yd - 989

.44 Remington Mag firing Remington Express 240gr SP

Velocity (ft/sec)
    Muzzle - 1760
    100 yd - 1380
    200 yd - 1114
    300 yd - 970

Energy (ft. lbs.)
    Muzzle - 1650
    100 yd - 1015
    200 yd - 661

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  6. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

The very same analogy is applicable in a mall parking lot. Just substitute a few words for that location, and you can see what the majority of people are lacking in that carry for self defense. Situational awareness.

SdoubleA and D. Hargrove like this.
  7. yukonjack

yukonjack Sharpshooter

Truth. You'll find more Alaskans carrying a 44 mag then anything else. Debates always rage but when it comes right down to it the best defensive tool is the one you have with you. Rifle and shotguns always seem to get left by the tree, hung on a tent pole or simply laid on the beach. Hard to do much without two free hands.

dennishoddy likes this.
  8. yukonjack

yukonjack Sharpshooter

You can always go ask the experts on the Alaska forum.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com

dennishoddy likes this.