30-30 Winchester Bolt Action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have my grandpa's Stevens, I believe it's the same gun though. I've loaded and shot a lot of 125gr Ballistic tips through it, killed a few deer with it. It survived a house fire, and I left the burned out portion of the stock alone when I "restored" it loll. It still looks pretty rough, but shoots great still.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dammit, y’all are about to cost me some money. Since I saw this thread, I did a search locally and found a Springfield bolt action 30-30 for considerably less than what that Encore barrel would be.

Edit to add that the only problem with it is that it’s missing the magazine. How hard are they to find?!? I don’t want to buy the rifle on the cheap and spend half again as much just to get a mag.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What makes it a brush gun? Shooting through brush hoping to hit something or easy to get around in brush?
The heavy 30 cal bullet doesn’t defect as much going through brush. Little branches, foliage, saplings, bushes things where it gets thick. Smaller diameter bullets for instance 223, 243, 270 or what not tend to veer off course more going through bush. And lever guns tend to be faster on reloads and more on point, that helps in the bush.

Not irresponsible random shooting in the woods. If you have a shot that is partially obstructed you have a better chance of dropping your game with a heavier bullets like 30-30. It is a good potent round. Not as thumpy as a 30/06 and not as light as a 308. Kinda the middle.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The heavy 30 cal bullet doesn’t defect as much going through brush. Little branches, foliage, saplings, bushes things where it gets thick. Smaller diameter bullets for instance 223, 243, 270 or what not tend to veer off course more going through bush. And lever guns tend to be faster on reloads and more on point, that helps in the bush.

Not irresponsible random shooting in the woods. If you have a shot that is partially obstructed you have a better chance of dropping your game with a heavier bullets like 30-30. It is a good potent round. Not as thumpy as a 30/06 and not as light as a 308. Kinda the middle.
yea I know, I just hear brush gun so much. I've got all the calibers you mentioned and then some.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dammit, y’all are about to cost me some money. Since I saw this thread, I did a search locally and found a Springfield bolt action 30-30 for considerably less than what that Encore barrel would be.

Edit to add that the only problem with it is that it’s missing the magazine. How hard are they to find?!? I don’t want to buy the rifle on the cheap and spend half again as much just to get a mag.
I found an aftermarket mag for mine, can't remember which parts house had it. Numrich maybe?

Quick loook shows Brownells has some - $45 each.

Not cheap, but they are available. Just keep the price in mind when offering a price on the one you found.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found an aftermarket mag for mine, can't remember which parts house had it. Numrich maybe?

Quick loook shows Brownells has some - $45 each.

Not cheap, but they are available. Just keep the price in mind when offering a price on the one you found.
After I posted that, I found the mags on eBay too, and that’s about the starting price. I’ve dealt with the seller before, so I hope he’ll be reasonable and at least knock off the price of the mag. If not, I’m probably out on the deal. :anyone:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What makes it a brush gun? Shooting through brush hoping to hit something or easy to get around in brush?
That’s actually a really good question and a topic that really deserves its own thread. I agree with Seadog’s answer in theory, but in my opinion, a real “brush gun” is shotgun using buckshot or slugs and not a rifle.
I had a friend about 15 years ago that talked me into ordering a combo gun (mine is 12ga over 308), and I got the short barrel version (20”). To me, this is the perfect brush gun, because I can shoot a pig with a rifle if the shot is available or buckshot when it’s not.
ECA88D35-41DD-46B9-A6C1-29FD4834BC89.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom