30-30 Winchester Bolt Action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_20220619_213645231_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220619_213559010_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220619_213559010_HDR.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's definitely a model 840, but uses the same magazine as the 340. I have no idea what the differences are oth between the two models.
Dammit, y’all are about to cost me some money. Since I saw this thread, I did a search locally and found a Springfield bolt action 30-30 for considerably less than what that Encore barrel would be.

Edit to add that the only problem with it is that it’s missing the magazine. How hard are they to find?!? I don’t want to buy the rifle on the cheap and spend half again as much just to get a mag.
I found 3 magazines for this one at the gun show this weekend (Father's Day weekend). They were $40-$45 each. However, I looked all over the place at the one Memorial Day weekend and didn't find anything.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mmm combo guns. The Springfield M6 guns got ridiculous in price. Later I learned that Savage made a model 24 22lr/410, I wouldn’t mind on of those.
Got one inherited from FIL. Surprisingly enough, the lock up is tight. Most that age rattle around when locked up. Obviously the prior owner knew that the hinge needs lube as well.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 30/30 is what it is, an old design with a relatively thin case, so keep those hand loads in the published range.

Review the recommended velocities for the bullets you choose. Most bullet manufacturers put that in the back of there reloading books. Be sure you have projectiles that will perform at the slower speeds of a 30/30.
A lot of 30 caliber projectiles are designed to perform properly at higher speeds than the 30/30 develops.

Unless your punching paper, there is no point sending something down range at speeds where it behave more like a full metal jacket than a soft point because it was intended for a 300 magnum velocities..

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dammit, y’all are about to cost me some money. Since I saw this thread, I did a search locally and found a Springfield bolt action 30-30 for considerably less than what that Encore barrel would be.

Edit to add that the only problem with it is that it’s missing the magazine. How hard are they to find?!? I don’t want to buy the rifle on the cheap and spend half again as much just to get a mag.
I bought 3 magazines for mine at the last gun show in Tulsa. Like $45 each.

Latest posts

Top Bottom