.30 cal at 6,000fps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be common knowledge but I just learned it last night and find it pretty dang interesting. Could you imagine this as a commercially available cartridge cartridge? I wonder what the ballistics would be like?

This was using a .30 cal 30gr projectile. I couldn't find anything about the projectiles shape or material.

"The .30-378 was originally designed by Roy Weatherby as an anti-personnel/anti-materiel military cartridge for a government contract.[4] The cartridge was created by necking down the .378 Weatherby Magnum to accept a .308 in (7.8 mm) diameter bullet. The United States Army’s Redstone Arsenal requested a rifle cartridge that could develop 6,000 ft/s (1,800 m/s) for the effects of light bullets against armor. The .30-378 Weatherby Magnum was able to attain over 5,000 ft/s (1,500 m/s). Using a slower burning and denser propellant, the .30-378 Weatherby Magnum surpassed the US Army’s requirement of 6,000 ft/s (1,800 m/s)."

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that was the round that used lathe turned solid copper bullets. And yes it was credited with crazy velocity.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I thought this was going to be about the new Shield EZ in .30 Super Carry. :D
Just looked at that cartridge. Shame they didn't load it to 327 federal mag specs. 32 H&R Mag levels aren't bad though.

Don't see it taking off like it could.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom