.30 Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just acquired a Ruger Blackhawk.
Interesting lil cartridge. From what I've found, fkred cases tend to stick in the cylinder, when using factory loads.

Plinking, rabbits, and cowboy shoots; I'll use 85gr powder coated bullets around 750 fps.

IF I load any hotter loads, I would prefer to not have stuck cases or a fire breathing, ear splitting dragon.

Suggestions? Experience?

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just acquired a Ruger Blackhawk.
Interesting lil cartridge. From what I've found, fkred cases tend to stick in the cylinder, when using factory loads.

Plinking, rabbits, and cowboy shoots; I'll use 85gr powder coated bullets around 750 fps.

IF I load any hotter loads, I would prefer to not have stuck cases or a fire breathing, ear splitting dragon.

Suggestions? Experience?
Cowboy Shoot (SASS) you must use lead bullets, not plated or recessed but you can use polymer coated

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I've wanted one of these things since they were first introduced! Just never broke down and turned loose of the cash. Please keep us posted on your progress/experience!

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, the first shot fired in SASS was with a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Period correct guns were harder to come by back then.

I would recommend Trail Boss as your starting powder for the velocities you're wanting. Not sure if there is any data for TB in .30 Carbine, but the Hodgdon's website has instructions for using it in calibers not listed.

Here it is: As noted in the powder description section, Trail Boss was designed primarily for reduced loads using lead bullets in pistol cartridges. However, Trail Boss offers superb versatility in rifle cartridges producing reduced loads using lead or jacketed bullets. These reduced loads make firing such cartridges as the 300 Winchester Magnum or even the 458 Winchester Magnum pure fun! Listed below we show a few examples of such loads throughout the Reloading Data Center, but the fun doesn't stop there. If you don't see Trail Boss data for your favorite cartridge we have a formula for developing loads for all cartridges and it's simple to follow. This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications: Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use! Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load. Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom