300 Black Out Question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does flat based versus a boat tail make any difference? I've always heard that FB projectiles are generally more accurate at sub-200yd distances because boat tail bullets haven't fully stabilized in that distance.

I'm also curious to know if there is something mechanically preventing the rifle from performing to the best of its ability.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An update on this. Went out and shot with a friend(different friend) this afternoon that is very tuned into long range shooting. I got to complaining to him about the pain in the butt that the 300 Blk out had been. He chuckled when I was gripping about the grouping on the dumb gun. Just for grins, he grabbed his 300 Blk out bolt gun and some subs he had loaded up and off to the field we went. Shot a few of his custom builds and then pulled out that dumb thing. To make a long story short, two out of three shots, I hit a metal target with that dumb thing. at 500 yards. Now I will say that I wasn't man enough to try and shoot his 1 moa steel at the distance, I was more than happy hitting the 2 moa at that distance with it. Just under 1" is what he sad his best group had been with the loads we were shooting. Sierra 240 grains with H110 powder behind it.

All that to say, I still dislike the gun. :-) Planning to meet up with the buddy that has the 300 I originally posted about and try to work with it more tomorrow afternoon.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basically a Remington 700 with a McMillan stock. 1 in 7 twist. Along with S&B glass.

So just slightly upgraded. On the glass note, the other buddy has put a Zeiss scope from another gun of his on his Blk out. To take the possible scope issue out of the equation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom