300 blackout converted brass - any problems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstorm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am just now starting to reload 300 blackout. There are not a lot of options for high quality new brass that is in stock. I was looking at converted brass; specifically Lake City 5.56. Does anyone have experience with converted 300 blackout brass?

also, i was looking at the following website, ballistictools.com. Has anyone used or heard of them? They anneal the converted brass.

Thanks.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tyrome in Tulsa also has converted 5.56 brass to 300AAC, I don't know if Ty still has any or not, but you could contact him. I convert all my own, I do use a case Gauge to verify that my shoulder is set in the right position when doing the forming. I form with a standard Lee full length sizing die and then fireform with a reduced load. I anneal AFTER conversion and so far I haven't had s single case fail with as many as 8 reloads. If you load high pressure loads your brass will fail a lot sooner. I shoot it out of a single shot encore, an AR and a bolt rifle. I love being able to load light load with cast bullets and shoot them out of the non AR rifles.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tyrome in Tulsa also has converted 5.56 brass to 300AAC, I don't know if Ty still has any or not, but you could contact him. I convert all my own, I do use a case Gauge to verify that my shoulder is set in the right position when doing the forming. I form with a standard Lee full length sizing die and then fireform with a reduced load. I anneal AFTER conversion and so far I haven't had s single case fail with as many as 8 reloads. If you load high pressure loads your brass will fail a lot sooner. I shoot it out of a single shot encore, an AR and a bolt rifle. I love being able to load light load with cast bullets and shoot them out of the non AR rifles.

I stopped doing the conversions quite some months ago. The time and wear and tear on my shoulder was getting to me.

Of the tens of thousands of pieces that I have converted I have not annealed one and have yet to hear a complaint from a buyer. It seems people are split right down the middle on the subject. If your doing it yourself, dont put a value on your time and really want to then I'd say do it. As a buyer or seller it just does not make sense to me (at least at my price / cost point). If you are not loading them to the max your still going to get quite a few loading out of the un-anealed brass

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the LC just to help keep things consistent. it is easy to get LC in large quantities. I wouldn't hesitate to use other head stamps but it isn't as easy to find 500 Federal or 500 Winchester stamped cases. You have to buy "mixed" head stamp. Almost everyone selling brass offers Lake City 5.56.

Latest posts

Top Bottom