300 blackout converted brass - any problems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is lake city brass hard on the dies and where could I go to find something that will cut the brass fast? Any help and advice is much appreciated:)

LC is not any harder on dies then any other. The time brass is any harder is when it is not clean and even then it takes a LOT of use to make them non useable. There are tons of methods to convert 223 into 300BLK. The best way really depends on what tools / equipment you currently have and how many you are wanting to convert.

A hack saw or Dremel works fine for a handful. If you want to do thousands then you might want a dillon trimmer

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe that LC brass is any harder or softer than any other case. I use the Harbor Freight mini chop saw and a jig that I bought on eBay. Unfortunately Harbor Freight has discontinued that saw.
You might also want to check out the "Worlds Finest Trimer" from Little Crow Gunworks. Worth every penny if you are trimming a large number of cases.
A case prep station is also a "must have" in my opinion. I have the RCBS version but the Lyman unit looks good too.

OEFVETERAN2010

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks I have the lyman station and yes sir its very nice. I have a dremel tool didnt think about using that lol thank yall. I wish there was away to install a case trimmer like lee on that lyman boy I could go thru em quick then but using the drill works good too.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mounting the Lee trimmer base to a drill press works great too. I use the HF cutoff saw, the set screw on the drive sprocket on the motor was loose when I got it and I didn't realize it until it had eaten the cog drive belt. I couldn't find a source for it, so a flat vacuum cleaner belt works almost as well. How ever you do cut them off, they get pretty worm, so wear gloves or have burnt fingers... Ask me how I know..

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks I have the lyman station and yes sir its very nice. I have a dremel tool didnt think about using that lol thank yall. I wish there was away to install a case trimmer like lee on that lyman boy I could go thru em quick then but using the drill works good too.

It's faster / smoother when you are not trying to hold a cellphone and crank at the same time but you can get the idea ....... Click the picture for video

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow that is really cool, would this work on my hornady lnl ap?

The trimmer I have is the original 1200B. It requires a milled toolhead to get the trimmer deep enough to cut the short 300AAC case. Because of the thin toolhead I would not think it would work on the LNL ( see picture below). The best part of this method is that it is converting the brass at the same time it trims. Dillon is now makeing / going to make a trimmer motor and die that is specifically made with converting brass in mind. I'd think it would work on other presses just fine

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the 1200B for large quantity work. I have two of them, one is permanently mounted on a 550B for 223 brass. I have a size deprime die in station one, the trimmer in station two, and a die body with an expander in station three. My Dillon 1200B die for 223 leaves the case mouth too small in diameter, that's why I have the expander in station 3. Between my family and I, we shoot several thousand 223s a year, and that justifies the setup, just due to the amount of time it takes for trimming and prep work. The other 1200B is mounted on a Rock Chucker single stage press, and I currently have 8 different dies for it. Most of my trimming on small quantities is done with the little Lee trimmer and a cordless drill. I also have the RCBS motorized trimmer and case prep station, and I will use it for medium quantity batches. Unless you are going to be doing large quantities, a manual trimmer is just fine. I also have the Forster trimmer which I use mostly for neck reaming or turning, and I also have the old Lyman universal trimmer, but it is the one I take camping for loading in the field.

Latest posts

Top Bottom