300 blackout............good, bad or indifferent??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a stripped lower sitting on my work bench just begging to be used. I'm thinking of a 300 blkout for the mated upper.
What says the masses? If you have a 300bk, tell me what you think, what you'd change etc.

I've got a buddy who just loves his and can't talk enough about it.

Thanks
Deano

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm into reloading (9mm, .45auto, .223, .243, 7mm) so this will just be an addition.
Any other purpose....... probably not much, might deer hunt with it at some point or hogs and have thought about it for doing the defensive rifle at OC.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one in an AR and I'm trying to get all the parts together to build another one for my little girl to hunt with. She has a 223 but I would much rather her be shooting a 308 cal at something deer or pig size. I killed a pig a few weeks ago with mine. Its fantastic if you reload.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm into reloading (9mm, .45auto, .223, .243, 7mm) so this will just be an addition.
Any other purpose....... probably not much, might deer hunt with it at some point or hogs and have thought about it for doing the defensive rifle at OC.

Definetly, do it and keep an log I might buy a 300 blk out upper for my AR pistol to use it for hunting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not into subsonic rifle rounds.
I understand the reason for this round to be suppressed, but the ultra high velocity smaller calibers kill much quicker, depending on the bullet used.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis is correct. The 300 Blackout and 300 Whisper is basically the same round. The 300 Whisper was developed by J.D. Jones of SSK Ind. to be a accurate subsonic round. I guess someone waited for his patent to expire , changed it a very little , and renamed it the 300 Blackout. I've built my own 300 Whisper AR back around 14 years ago when SSK was the only game in town to get one. I shoot my suppressed only and I haven't hunted with it. It is a lot easier to build one to shoot supersonic rounds than subsonics only. The 6.8 SPC is almost dead. The 6.5 Grendel is a good long range round.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one ... just built it this spring, so I haven't hunted with it yet. I've only worked up a couple of loads and haven't fine tuned them yet. So far, I like it. One advantage the 300 BLK has is that it uses the same BCG and magazines as .223/5.56. That's one reason I went with it. Nothing wrong with Grendel or SPC ... I first thought about going with the SPC. Your intended use might be the best determining factor, based on available bullet selection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom