300 blackout............good, bad or indifferent??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just looked through a bunch of barrels on line trying to decide on my next one which will be a 10.5" and I really had to dig to find the differences on some of them. On several, the only difference is gas port size. Just from one manufacturer, had 5 different 300 blackout barrels and all 10.5" and had 3 different gas port sizes to pick from. .072 .093 and .125 If I wasnt bored and really tried to figure out what the diff was I would have never known. Whatever I order will have the largest port I can get since Im going to put an adj gas block on it anyway. That may be the reason so many people have problems when they put one together.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When you get this figured out, you'll need to write up a summary of your trials and maybe the mods can make a sticky of it. Lot's a trial and error here that somebody can take advantage of it down the road hopefully :)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
History mostly - hasn't been around as long or as widely adopted to develop the huge knowledge base of what "works", "won't work", and "might work".

There is also the vast difference in power between hot supersonic rounds and mild subsonic rounds. Trying to get all of those to work in one barrel is a challenge.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a wide open port and an adjustable gas block would be the way to go?

Thats what I would recommend and will do on all my future builds. You dont have to get a hi dollar switchable gas block to work either. I bought one from Jo Bobs and it was under $30. No easily adjustable and have to take the hand guard off to adjust it since I have a long handguard, but I just kept opening it until it would barely run with 220 subs, and I can run everything else with no problems. I was way, way, over gassed from the factory and it would group not nothing. Gas block fixed it.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Success! ! ! Well somewhat successful, Drilled out gas port to 3/32" and loaded a mag of handloaded 125gr STS on top of 17.5gr of H110. Shot every round without a hitch! Next attempt is both, , a off the shelf box of whatever I can pick up and possibly a handload of the same H110 but with less powder. Hmmm, I believe I have ONE round of the Remington 120gr supersonics left from the original box I bought. It'll go down the pipe shortly to see if it cycles the next round into the chamber.
Anyways, this present combination worked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom