300 blackout............good, bad or indifferent??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have three 300BLK Uppers. 16", 12.5, and 9". All three run everything from 110 to 220g ammo, sub and super, suppressed or unsuppressed without issue. No adjustable gas block, they lock back on the last round. I can just change ammo. Mine are factory AAC uppers, I have seen issues with other combos, but it can be done without an adjustable gas block.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not saying you have to have an adjustable gas block but the possibility is there. I worry more about being over gassed than under. If your way over gassed on a 16" barrel with a pistol gas system it will shoot horribly. Or at least its possible that it will shoot terrible.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 300 AAC Blackout is an excellent cartridge, and as more people like yourself buy into it, more places will carry it. Heck the Academy Sports here in Lawton now carries 4 different brands of 300BLK, and Frog's pawn has had it a couple different times i went in there.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Subsonic isn't in my plans but the 6.8 has some good specs. The added range is a bonus but having to change mags and bolts is a downer.

I don't really figure on subsonic either, but it leaves that option open. Maybe someday I'll win the lottery!

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you handload, and now probably factory offerings such as Hornady or Sig probably, your right at 7.62x39 and 30-30 ballistics with the super such as 125gr in a semiauto that is only a barrel change from a 223. Same mags, bolt, mags, everything. And if you ever do decide to use a can and subs later their crazy quiet. And even with no can and my 125gr handloads they are way more quiet than a 223. If you never hunt than that wont much matter but shooting without hearing protection is not painful at all. Now I only do that while hunting but it makes a huge difference in my world.

Owlcreekok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the 80's we putzed around with 7.62 x 39 and .30 carbine, seeing (or should I say "listening") how quiet we could get and still have a round that would "do something" downrange. Had a lot of fun, but never found the sweet spot. Admittedly, we were biased. [When I say, "we", I mean some number of backyard gunsmiths / wildcatters.] What began in bolt guns, wound up in things like Ruger Mini Thirtys, the odd "AK" (AKM to be more proper-like). It is warming to see the "advent" of the .30 cal pill on a molested .223 case. "We", at least MY group of Shotgun News Shoppers, never thought of THAT case ! lol

I am more of a "performance" kinda shooter. I am underwhelmed by a "rifle cartridge" at subsonic velocities for the sake of lowering the report. A buddy and I have goofed around in some remote areas, shooting suppressed firearms with standard ammo. You can hear the 'crack' but you cannot definitively pinpoint the direction from whence it came. Not without a handful of shots to "triangulate". The gent(s) that offer the 6.8 SPC as a utilitarian alternative have my vote. I built a 6.8 AR with a cheapo Numrich Arms .277 blank. The thing is powerful hog and whitetail medicine. About seven years ago, an acquaintance shot a medium sized cow Elk in Southern Colorado with his 6.8. She was DRT at just under 250 yards. I would not advocate that one make a habit of using a 6.8 SPC on that sized game, but I would call it a "plus" to know the little engine COULD. The mag and bolt difference is a plus to me. Keeps things ordered and properly dedicated. My wife says I am some kind of retentive something due to that penchant. heh

My $0.02

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My girls started with 223's and dropped plenty of whitetail with them. I then put 300 blk uppers on their guns and have been doing well with them also. At distances of 0 - 200 yds, it's easy-peezy for them. I mainly set them up that way to get them in a bigger caliber on the same platform they were already used to. Now neither of them are afraid to get behind my 308 and have been shooting it since they were 8 and 11.

For myself, I decided I would build a 300 blk pistol this summer. 7 1/2 barrel with a flaming pig on the end will make it real clear to you why people run that thing suppressed. I plan to use the pistol for home defense and maybe some close cover hunting...but NOT without hearing protection.

It's a great round, like everyone said previously, if you reload.

Latest posts

Top Bottom