300 blackout............good, bad or indifferent??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried some Remington 120 grain supersonics but they wouldn't cycle either. That is the only over the counter ammo I have tried.
I loaded some Accurate 1680 behind 125gr TNT's, fired and cycled fine. Middle of the road load.
The H110 won't cycle another round or lock open on empty mag.
Dismantled the gas block/gas tube yesterday, checked to make sure it was centered over the port and make sure the gas tube hole was square to the gas block hole. GTG from what I can tell.
I don't have a scale that will weigh the buffer at the moment. My powder scale only goes to 1000 grains and I believe the buffer weight is about 1200+.

Collinsville, north of Tulsa.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish you were closer and we could just swap parts around until we figured something out. This is on a pistol length system? Does it have the right size buffer? Like a rifle length in a carbine tube? I even had a carbine buffer once that was too long and had to trim some of the plastic off the tail of it. It sure does sound like the gas port in the barrel is too small.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can make an easy scale.
I used a wood dowel rod.. an arrow shaft will also work.
Find the middle of the shaft . drill a hole or just tie a good knot around the middle with some stout fishing string..I use 60lb braid.

hang this dowel rod /shaft from a shelf or use a hook and hang it from the door trim in a bedroom.

Picture this a wooden rod hanging from the ceiling from a string the rod is hanging perfectly horozontal.

I attached a string at both ends and hung a cup at both ends on the string.
If one end hangs lower add some duct tape or other tape to the lighter side to make them hang the same.

You have a powder scale that goes to 1000 ,, now you can weigh 1000 or 2000 gr or whatever and add it to one of the cups. and place something in the other cup to make it hang perfectly horozontal add or remove weight now you have your cheap scale.

I built a table top model for weighing fishing sinkers I made from a wooden mold I made.

It is very accurate.

I tried to splain this the bestest i could :)

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish you were closer and we could just swap parts around until we figured something out. This is on a pistol length system? Does it have the right size buffer? Like a rifle length in a carbine tube? I even had a carbine buffer once that was too long and had to trim some of the plastic off the tail of it. It sure does sound like the gas port in the barrel is too small.

Gas tube is mid length, approx. 9.5" long. Same length on both uppers that I am using. The Lower came off of the FBT 16" rifle "kit" I bought last year at this time. The barrel is a SS FBT 16"
No idea if right buffer or not. It works fine shooting my .223/5.56 and the handloaded 300blk using Accurate 1680.
I'll pull the handguard and gas block in the next day or so and measure the port ID.

Thanks SR, I will give that method a try asap.

Deano

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
300 BLK. Can be a finicky beotch. I built 2 identical rifles, one for each of my daughters. One ran perfectly from the get go, while I had to tweak the buffer weight of the other to get it to run properly.

I built a 300 BLK pistol and that one just about got the best of me. I adjusted the gas block, changed the gas block, adjusted the buffer weight and changed the buffer spring. Still wouldn't run right. In the end, I drilled out the gas port to a full 1/8" and cut one coil off of the buffer spring, then went back to a standard carbine buffer. Now it runs like a champ and has never failed.

I know, I know.... The gas tube isn't even 1/8" so why drill the port out bigger? Because that's what it took to make it work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom