300 Blackout Upper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I swapped out the hand guard on my Bear Creek Arsenal 300 Blackout upper today, and I LOVE it! I didn't like that keymod hand guard that it came with. I got the 16.5" "Pentagon" MLok handguard from Delta Team Tactical for $80.00: https://www.deltateamtactical.com/D...-Lok-Handguard-W-Steel-Barrel-Nut_p_5121.html. It actually measures 17", even though it is advertised as a 16.5".

The only thing I don't like about this new MLok hand guard is the way it fastens to the barrel nut. There is just enough play in the fasteners to make it pretty difficult to get the barrel perfectly centered all the way down, but it came out good I think. I also ordered a different brake for this rifle. It's the same brake that I have on one of my 5.56 builds. It has a "director" sleeve that slips over the brake to redirect the concussion of the blast downrange instead of to the sides where other shooters may be. I love the one on my 5.56. Very cool brake.

This 300 Blackout build has the Polymer 80 lower on it. People dog polymer lowers, but this is actually my favorite lower....even over my Spikes Tactical and my Black Rain Ordnance billet lower. I love the look of it, and mostly because it is very light weight. Also because it was the first 80% lower I ever completed.

This gun is pretty basic, but has a few "extras" on it.....Strike Industries takedown pins, Strike Industries polymer dust cover (love those), extended CH latch, KNS anti-rotation pins, PSA full-auto bolt carrier group w/ logo, etc. The barrel is 1:8 twist, 16" Parkerized, carbine gas. My only complaint on this upper from Bear Creek Arsenal was that the BCG they sent with the upper was pretty much garbage. The staking job was really bad, and it just doesn't function well in this gun. It works good on my 5.56 AR's, though.

Let me know what you guys think!

300-blackout-1.jpg

300-blackout-2.jpg

300-blackout-3.jpg

and here is the new muzzle brake I ordered for this rifle...should have it in a couple of days.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 4.44.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 4.45.25 AM.png

Last edited:

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main purpose of this type of brake is to redirect the concussion & sound more downrange instead of to the sides....so if you have shooters next to you at the range, it is supposed to help redirect the negative effects of the gun blast away from other shooters. I can't really speak to the effectiveness of that benefit, but I can tell you that it shoots good and it definitely reduces muzzle flash.

The main reason I bought the brake for my 5.56 is because of the outer threads on the brake....it allows me to direct thread a suppressor to my muzzle brake instead of having to take off the....oh well, you know what I'm talking about I don't feel like explaining that. lol

Last edited:

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main purpose of this type of brake is to redirect the concussion & sound more downrange instead of to the sides....so if you have shooters next to you at the range, it is supposed to help redirect the negative effects of the gun blast away from other shooters. I can't really speak to the effectiveness of that benefit, but I can tell you that it shoots good and it definitely reduces muzzle flash.

The main reason I bought the brake for my 5.56 is because of the outer threads on the brake....it allows me to direct thread a suppressor to my muzzle brake instead of having to take off the....oh well, you know what I'm talking about I don't feel like explaining that. lol

Right, I understand the sound direction part of it which those devises work surprisingly well. I was just curious as to whether or not it actually still works well as a "brake"?

I didnt know they had outer threads on the brake. So say a 223 brake with a 1/2x28 also has 1/2x28 threads on the outside of the brake or larger? The one for say a blackout which has 5/8x24 also has 5/8x24 threads on the outside of the brake so I can screw a can on it without having to remove anything?

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We, at APH Tactical in Lawton, would love to build you a custom 300 upper, which of course would enable you to use any handgaurd and muzzle device you like. We also offer cerakote services, so if you wanted, we could match all of your uppers to your lower reciever. Also, we are a Class 2 Manufacturer, so if you wanted to wait for the tax stamp, we could build you a tuned, dedicated-suppressed 300BLK upper with an overall "barrel" length of 16" so you don't have to SBR your lower. Please feel free to PM us anytime.

Take Care,
Mike

Latest posts

Top Bottom