.300 Blk. Out, wanted 1, got 1, now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like to think of the 300 Blk along the same lines of a 30-30. 200 yards and in and adequate for the brushy bottoms and woods. Deer, yotes, hogs, coons, beavers, Bobcat, all have been schwacked on my little farm with the 300.

The round was designed to run subsonic and suppressed for the Military (SOF), so if ya have that desire, good round for it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get good with any gun and be able to put your shot in a kill zone at all reasonable distances for that caliber and anything will kill
deer and hogs etc.
The last few deer I have killed with a gun were with a .223 55rg V-max shot in the crease of the front shoulder or through the front shoulder and cut the heart in 1/2. Last hog died that way also.

Pick the projectile carefully.
Some may just pencil through..I had that happen with the 155 Palma sierra bullet 2 times.
Deer fell and got back up and took off for a long ways.. longer than any bullet.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to load it hot, get it up to 300 savage velocities. It’s a single shot rifle at that point. Disposable single shot

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you want a short barrel, and/or suppressed, it is a great option. It performs well out of a short barrel. I have a 8.5" AR pistol in .300blk for my bedside gun. It offers better control and accuracy vs a handgun. It offers shorter length, higher capacity, and faster reloads vs a shotgun.

From what I can tell, if you're looking at longer than 10.5" and are not planning on suppression, then .300 Blackout would not be the best choice.

6.8 SPC does quite well down to 12.5".

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just built my 4th Blackout. I built a couple of economy rifles a few years back, one for each of my daughters. Both with 16” barrels and both have had great success on deer and coyotes with 110 gr v-max loads.

I then built an 8 1/2” pistol for myself. I built it for CQ’s but was pleasantly surprised when I was able to keep my shots in a 3” group at 100 yds with only a good cheek weld. It is great for hogs or deer in heavy timber. Easy to maneuver through brush and get on target quick.

Just weeks ago, I built a rifle for myself. I built this one for accuracy and have been pleased with sub MOA groups while working up its best load. Still refining the load, but with the BDC scope I put on it, I do not miss gallon size water filled jugs out past 200 yards.

The Blackout is a versatile round that should do everything you asked. Running a suppressor definitely has its benefits, and almost a must on a pistol or SBR. If you are shooting supersonic out of a 16”+ barrel for hunting purposes, you are good to go either way.

Brian Wood

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So like you might be a great resource... I have a question I hope you can and will help with.

New to the AR platform, built a 300 blackout pistol from PSA parts. Love it, except for 1 small problem. Occasionally, it won't feed a round.

Originally, they round nose, and a search online blamed the bullet shape, so I bought some local ones and they also failed.

Newer looking around the internet shows mag issues.

So, do you have feeding issues? Does the new Magpul or the lancer mags fix this? Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 1519011954510577732356.jpg
    1519011954510577732356.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 109

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So like you might be a great resource... I have a question I hope you can and will help with.

New to the AR platform, built a 300 blackout pistol from PSA parts. Love it, except for 1 small problem. Occasionally, it won't feed a round.

Originally, they round nose, and a search online blamed the bullet shape, so I bought some local ones and they also failed.

Newer looking around the internet shows mag issues.

So, do you have feeding issues? Does the new Magpul or the lancer mags fix this? Any other suggestions?

Tough to say without all the details about your pistol. Gas port size, buffer spring, buffer weight, etc could all be potential factors. I don’t have a problem with any mags I run, and I have run metal and pmags.

Are you shooting subsonic or supersonic? And will the bolt cycle back far enough to lock back when the mag is empty?

Brian Wood

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought 2 metal mags and a pmag [not the blackout version].

As for the pistol, it was a kit from PSA, so I'm not sure they provided the gas port size. Should be a standard milspec buffer spring and buffer, I believe.

None off the ammo I tested, so far, has been subsonic.

Yes, bolt locks on an empty mag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom