300 PRC Bolt Gun Custom or?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want a mile capable, heavy 30 caliber I can shoot Elk with when the time comes. So far I am batting 2 for 2 on Bergara rifles. 6.5 Creed in an HMR and a .308 in an HMR Pro with the Primer action. The Primer action is a different animal. About as close to custom as you can get for 1500 dollars. That is why I am considering the Ridgeback in 300 PRC. I can get this shipped to my FFL for just south of 2k. This would be my first rifle I have ever spent more than 1500 on bone stock. That is what has me thinking of a custom route and about 14 billon questions popped in my head.

The Ridgeback in my opinion, balances the tactical feel I prefer with the hunting look I would like to stick with. That is what I am kind of going for on this rifle. I'm positive with some of my hand loads, I can make this shoot sub MOA.

All that said, I'm not 100% sold the Ridgeback. Custom has me intrigued, but no where to start.
1. Custom barrel going to provide any better accuracy?
2. Custom action going to be any smoother, tighter?
3. Chamber going to be better on Lapua brass?
4. Custom going to be lighter?

I'm pretty sure I want to stick with ACIS pattern on this.

Thanks in advance OSA

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should have a chat with Jim Paul Brown at Wildcat Precision. He will answer all your questions based on actual experience and will have recommendations to get you where you want to be. He's also in Edmond.

Custom actions will run anywhere from $600-1500 depending on what you go with but have features that are nice if you are going to keep the rifle and maybe rebarrel it at some point. Things like larger integrated recoil lugs, smoother bolt travel, difference in bolt lift between different actions, etc... A barrel blank will be $300+ then another $300+ to get it chambered (but talk to the smith about cutting custom dies with the same reamer). Anyway, custom will cost more, but you get to have so much more say in the end product.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should have a chat with Jim Paul Brown at Wildcat Precision. He will answer all your questions based on actual experience and will have recommendations to get you where you want to be. He's also in Edmond.

Custom actions will run anywhere from $600-1500 depending on what you go with but have features that are nice if you are going to keep the rifle and maybe rebarrel it at some point. Things like larger integrated recoil lugs, smoother bolt travel, difference in bolt lift between different actions, etc... A barrel blank will be $300+ then another $300+ to get it chambered (but talk to the smith about cutting custom dies with the same reamer). Anyway, custom will cost more, but you get to have so much more say in the end product.
Thank you!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t have much input, I considered going the custom route for a switch barrel custom setup, but never got over the pricing, at this point at least. But here’s a video from defiance machine. I would say that’s pretty smooth.

I think in terms of options, upgradability, and bang for your buck a custom action and barrel would do you really well. Build it exactly like you want, without having to swap out parts or upgrade anything.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input and PM's. I found a really really good deal on an HMR Pro. I did the same with my .308. It will make for a great action when its time to replace the barrel.

Here she is
20230119_152555.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom