300 PRC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whos got one? Is it worth it over say 300 Win Mag with ammo as scarce as it is right now?

I have a reloading setup but haven't ever set it up because I am nervous about trying to create small explosive devices designed to go off right next to my face.

I have some rifle build components incoming for a lightweight mountain rifle build and the barrel is a 26" 30 cal 1:9.4" twist. I was going to chamber it in 300 PRC and still want to but dangit once its built I'd like to, ya know, actually be able to shoot it.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It shouldn't stop you from reloading, but it's good that it scares you. Reloading is safe AS LONG AS you understand what you're doing, pay close attention while you're doing it, never make assumptions, and double check everything. And have a healthy respect for potential problems if you forget to do any of those things.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your 9.4 twist barrel should be able to stabilize all but maybe the Hornady 250gr A-Tip Match.

Only you can decide if it's worth it over a 300 Win Mag. We don't know what scenario's you plan to employ this rifle. Naturally brass for a 300 Win Mag will be easier to find currently but everything else will be hard to find like it is for everything right now.

As far as reloading for the 300prc, it's really no big deal and no different than any other center fire rifle cartridge. Don't get too wrapped up on its SAAMI max pressure (explosive devise) of 65,000. A 30-06 has 60,000 and a 300 Win Mag has 64,000....heck, a 223 Rem is 55,000.

Some people find the "belt" on belted cartridges give them issues while reloading and the 300 Win Mag is a "belted cartridge" and the 300prc isn't. Often they purchase small base dies to rid themselves of the problem the belt causes. Personally, if I was in the mood for a hard hitting 30 caliber long range hunting rig, I would choose the 300prc over the 300wm. The 300wm was not designed for todays heavy ELD/VLD bullets.

I've been reloading a 7wsm (SAAMI Max pressure of 65,000) for over 10 years now and have never had one instance of failure with cases or primer pockets. I've cautiously pushed the maximum weight of powder and probably pushed it harder than SAAMI specks. I've shot 180gr Berger bullets to 3,023 fps safely but the load shortened the life of my brass due to loose primer pockets. I found the rifle performs best with this bullet at around 2,900-2,950 fps so there's no reason to push harder.

Most reloading manuals have a section on how to get started in reloading, there are numerous videos on YouTube and you can ask as many questions as you want on this forum. Who knows, maybe someone will even mentor you if they have time and live close by.

If you pay attention to what you're doing, use the right components, follow directions, and measure everything accurately you should be fine. Once you gain the necessary skills and confidence is when you can slowly start pushing above maximum powder weight for a given bullet if you desire. Naturally you'll watch for pressure signs while doing this.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whos got one? Is it worth it over say 300 Win Mag with ammo as scarce as it is right now?

I have a reloading setup but haven't ever set it up because I am nervous about trying to create small explosive devices designed to go off right next to my face.

I have some rifle build components incoming for a lightweight mountain rifle build and the barrel is a 26" 30 cal 1:9.4" twist. I was going to chamber it in 300 PRC and still want to but dangit once its built I'd like to, ya know, actually be able to shoot it.
A buddy of mine bought one of these last year and a box of very expensive ammo afterwards and hasn't been able to find any more ammo or brass since so it sits in his closet collecting dust. The Win mag looks like a better choice but hell's bells, you still can't find any powder or primers for them......Maybe a 308 Win is looking better, there's stuff for them and surplus powder to stuff them with if you search around....Primers are still and issue though....Good luck

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have a buddy that bought a rifle (don't remember which flavor but I thought it might have been a Bergara) in 300 PRC and he bought one box of ammo with it but waited too long to buy more brass and primers so now he has a very expensive CLUB, I been searching for brass for a year and a half and have not seen a single piece, him either but I have seen on occasion 300 Win Mag brass out there. I've listened to CEO's and rep's from several ammo and component companies and they are all saying this vacuum will not end soon so you may want to add that into your notes for your build. On another note, most of our military branches have adapted the 300 Win-Mag as a primary sniper round and once fired brass does become available off-n-on if you check around on the websites that sell these products. As far as primers go, we're all in the same boat for them....good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom