300 SAUM loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found my load for my 300 SAUM. 178 grn ELD-X, 62.6 gr of IMR 4350. Hoping to get out to Colorado on an Elk hunt next fall, so doing all the prep work early. Still need to get it on a chrono. What I found odd was that this load with 178 gr bullet had exactly the same 100 yd zero as my factory Remington Core Lokt with 165 gr bullets. That actually works out great being as I have 140 rds of the factory ammo to use on whitetail and save the 178 gr for long range on elk.

Also shot my Rem R-25 308 with and without the suppressor today. It actually shoots tighter groups with the suppressor, but bullet impact is 3” lower. Windage didn’t vary any at all.

F3C657AC-4078-4CB0-93B5-3A2B420DD24B.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found my load for my 300 SAUM. 178 grn ELD-X, 62.6 gr of IMR 4350. Hoping to get out to Colorado on an Elk hunt next fall, so doing all the prep work early. Still need to get it on a chrono. What I found odd was that this load with 178 gr bullet had exactly the same 100 yd zero as my factory Remington Core Lokt with 165 gr bullets. That actually works out great being as I have 140 rds of the factory ammo to use on whitetail and save the 178 gr for long range on elk.

Also shot my Rem R-25 308 with and without the suppressor today. It actually shoots tighter groups with the suppressor, but bullet impact is 3” lower. Windage didn’t vary any at all.

View attachment 151383
Bullet impact with my suppressor is about 3" low as well. Weight of the suppressor is what I was told causing that.
Where are your plans taking you for the elk hunt?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bullet impact with my suppressor is about 3" low as well. Weight of the suppressor is what I was told causing that.
Where are your plans taking you for the elk hunt?

If all goes well, back to Pagosa Springs. I’ve been there twice before, taking one bull, so I’m batting 500. Plus, I love that country. Everything from Chama, NM up and around Pagosa is my favorite.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If all goes well, back to Pagosa Springs. I’ve been there twice before, taking one bull, so I’m batting 500. Plus, I love that country. Everything from Chama, NM up and around Pagosa is my favorite.
We stayed at Pagosa Springs for almost a month this summer in our RV. Fun place, and love the hot springs. Deepest in the world.
I'd love to soak in them during the winter. We got into one called the lobster pot that was 114 degrees for about 5 minutes, then went and got into the river that was 54 degrees, then back into the lobster pot. Quite the system shock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom