300 win mag to 7mm-300 win mag conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I charge $350 for action blue printing, which includes all the work I mentioned above...

Any long action with a magnum bolt face can be turned into a 7mm 300 Win. Mag...

If you had a barrel blank, additional barrel work would be chambering, crowning and finishing...

Yes, all work can be done before the stock is ordered, or if you order a barrel contour that corresponds to a Douglas/Shilen contour, you can go ahead and order a stock at the same time as you order the barrel. When I order a custom stock from someone like McMillan or Manners, I order the barrel channel in the next larger barrel contour, so that the barrel will be fully free-floated. This usually amounts to a barrel clearance of one to two business cards, which looks good and is not overly gapped on the sides between the barrel and stock...

If however, your barrel is a custom barrel contour, it is best to send the stripped barreled action to the stock maker for a more precise fit, and still ask them for adequate barrel to stock clearance...

Tikka actions! I rebarrel these on a regular basis. These have a 1.00" diameter shank and Remington has a 1.062" diameter shank...
Do you generally blueprint the Tikka actions also in the same way as the Remingtons?

Also, thank you for the responses and providing me build education.....

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, just thought of another question. Why would I order a barrel blank as opposed to having all of it done at the manufacturers?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not saying they will do you a bad job but Hart barrels would not be my first choice as a gunsmith for my custom build. I believe they did machine work for Roy Chandler (Iron Brigade Armory) before he passed away. His rifles were really nice but they didn't have a huge following probably due to their overly expensive cost. A friend of mine has one in 308 and he paid a lot more for his than I paid for my GA Precision. Accuracy and build quality is no difference.

It also sounds like you have more unanswered questions than answered. What's the rifles intended use and what bullet do you plan on running? Hornady/Berger ELD's/VLD's in 180-195 gr? Are you going to run a muzzle brake (I would)? Have you bought the bushing dies and do you know the process to resize the necks? Are you going with a no-turn chamber or do you plan on turning necks? Do you know how much free bore you plan on running? Are you planning on running a box mag or a DBM? This may affect free bore. Does Hart have a 7x300 reamer? If so, what are the specks and does it work for you?

PR-6284 gave you a lot of good info as well and the person I would want answering them should be the one who will actually do all the machine work on your barreled action. That's why I suggested Jon Beanland. He's well known, stands behind his work, and his makers mark adds value if you were ever to sale your rifle.

I cannot stress enough to call/email different builders for their opinion and prices. Often they are hard to get ahold of because they are over booked and under staffed. Don't just settle on Hart because they offer a barreled action for $715.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to you all. Overwhelming amount of information to decipher and research, but will do.

To answer some of the above questions. My plan is to have/build a long range hunting rifle. Of course long range to me being 500-800 yards with possible 1000 yard shots on metal, not game. Would like to use the Berger 180/195 grain. Most likely use a muzzle break. I do reload so I am aware of what's required for neck sizing. As far as the other questions I'd need to research/learn more.

In the meantime I did pick up a nice clean Remington Sendero 300 win mag with 24" barrel. I figured I would shoot it a while and maybe do a little work on it as far as bedding and probably trigger. See what it can do at this point. I have a US Optics LR17 3.2-17x44 H59 Reticle to stick on it. Who knows, I may end up putting off the build if it makes me happy. Would definitely be easier on the wallet. If not I figure I can use it to do the build with.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would it improve his Sendero if had the action trued?

He'll get the greatest bang for his buck with a new match grade barrel. Generally with a new barrel you'll want to true the action which includes re-cutting the action threads.

It's certainly open to debate but I would venture to guess greatest accuracy would come from:
1. Barrel
2. Bedding
3. trigger
Naturally shooter ability and ammo play a large part as well but you need an accurate barrel and a platform that will consistently produce time and time again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom