308 Coyote Load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo40

Marksman
Reaction score
H4895 is my lighter .308 bullet powder of choice...but talk about unobtainable and expensive. I've only got about 2.5lbs left, and I doubt I'll be able to replace it. IMR-4895 is close, but you lose the temperature insensitivity. I've got MOA or better out of several 130 - 150gr hunting bullets out of my 18" Wilson Combat barrel with H4895.

TAC is my cheap alternative, but I have to do load development for the temps I'll be hunting in...way too easy to end up with pressure issues with it. I was using TAC with the 150gr Interlock on my thermal stuff.

Plenty of professional resources online so you don't need to copy a home recipe and end up in trouble.
I’ve only got two 308s left, and M1A and a 16” barreled FAL, lve shot only 150gr SSTs using H4895, I’m just not sure either of those two rifles would like a lighter bullet. I do have a good load using 125 gr Power points in my 300WM, it is one flat shooting round! But that’s out of a long barreled bolt action.

bigwaterfishman

Marksman
Reaction score
I generally just shoot them with my 270 Win and handloaded 150 gr SST’s, but I’m wanting to try a 110 or 125 gr 308 load. Has anyone ever loaded lighter bullets in a 308?
I run 125 nosler ballistic tips out of my 16.5 in. Remington. 53 gr of 748 gets me 3010 out of it. I use it for deer and coyote. DO NOT start with that load. It's very hot.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use my AR on Coyote's and using 55grain ball works just fine on the Dogs.
I could and even thought about using an AR, but in my opinion, there are just way better rifles and calibers.

People today seem to think an AR is the end all be all do everything rifle, and I’ll agree it has its purpose.
However, I prefer to use a sledgehammer to drive a finishing nail than a tack hammer to drive a railroad spike.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could and even thought about using an AR, but in my opinion, there are just way better rifles and calibers.

People today seem to think an AR is the end all be all do everything rifle, and I’ll agree it has its purpose.
However, I prefer to use a sledgehammer to drive a finishing nail than a tack hammer to drive a railroad spike.

I busted 2 of 3 pitbulls at 322 yards recently with my M24 (7.62x51) and 175gr SMKs. I got mixed results: One died DRT, and the other took a frontal chest hit and still ran a bit before expiring. Why it stayed in the area after the first one was shot is beyond me.

It was the rifle that I had out at the time that I saw them, even though my usual coyote/dog AR was within a few steps.

I can appreciate the sledgehammer analogy...I don't think I'd have been near as humane at that distance with a .223, even with the extremely effective 64gr Gold Dot.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
110gr VMax, 48.5g Varget avg 2760fps out of a 16” barrel
Don’t go over 49.8 and you’ll be good, 50 will destroy brass.

I should have a few hundred extra 110s if you need some.
My bullets got here late yesterday, and I loaded up 10 rounds in Lapua 308 brass with 45 grains of Varget, seated them to the bottom of the cannelure, and used my crimp die to have consistent neck tension. My bench is too close to the house where my wife was grading papers, so I had to shoot off the back rack of my 4 wheeler. It ain’t screaming fast, but I think that load will work for killing coyotes.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kimda late here, but I've used 125 gr NBT on deer just fine, and I bet they'd work on coyotes just fine. I've shot a couple coyotes with 155 gr A Max out of my 308 while deer hunting, never had one complain yet 🤣
Yeah, that’s the deal. I know I’m way over thinking this, because the coyotes aren’t going to know if they get hit with a $1 projectile or a 20 cent projectile or care how much thought and time I put into load development.

I’ve been texting with a member on here about buying a 243 for a dedicated coyote rifle and actually found a decent deal on a TC Venture yesterday, but for what that “deal” is still going to cost me, I might as well use factory premium ammo in a rifle I already have for the little coyote hunting I’ll probably actually do. :rolleyes2

Latest posts

Top Bottom