308 loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Mettler

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im sure this is a question that could spark a lot of debate, but here it is . I have a Winchester XPR in .308 win it has a 1-12 twist 22in barrel. What loads will it handle that is above the standard 150gr loads? Will it handle the 165gr sst from hornady? I really want a decent load for this rifle that will shoot our to 600yds.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must be better at working up a load than I am I need more than 10.

I will say the 178 Hornady is bad medicine for deer.
Shoot one in the shoulder and expect both shoulders to be dog food.

It is that devastating.
I hunt for meat and quit using it.
Very accurate, very destructive so if you need a hunt load and like burger.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you didn't mention powders, but two of the best powders I have found for use in the 308 Winchester are IMR-4064 and Winchester 748.

Standard or Match primers both work great.

As long as the bullets you are loading will still feed through your magazine properly, seat them out as far as you can, provided they are not jamming into the rifling.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you didn't mention powders, but two of the best powders I have found for use in the 308 Winchester are IMR-4064 and Winchester 748.

Standard or Match primers both work great.

As long as the bullets you are loading will still feed through your magazine properly, seat them out as far as you can, provided they are not jamming into the rifling.
My 308 powder of choice is Varget, and I use CCI 250 primers and 165 gr Corelokt bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom