308 loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it was my gun and I wanted a "low" accuracy node round I would start powder charge with the Varget at 41 gr and go up .5 gr at a time.

I have found low nodes in the 41.5-43 gr area.
If I wanted high accuracy node I would Not use Lapua brass.. It never worked well in the high node for me.
Winchester cases were king there and with Varget and a 165-168 gr bullet the high node for me was usually 44gr or more.
Work that one up in .3 gr increments.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Robert Mettler

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was my gun and I wanted a "low" accuracy node round I would start powder charge with the Varget at 41 gr and go up .5 gr at a time.

I have found low nodes in the 41.5-43 gr area.
If I wanted high accuracy node I would Not use Lapua brass.. It never worked well in the high node for me.
Winchester cases were king there and with Varget and a 165-168 gr bullet the high node for me was usually 44gr or more.
Work that one up in .3 gr increments.
The brass i have is new unfired sig sauer brass

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 165gr SST is right in the ideal length range for a 1:12" twist. That twist should have no problem stabilizing bullets in the 130 - 180gr range. For many years the M40 series of sniper rifles used by Marines shot a 175gr SMK out of a 1:12" twist.

Varget is one of "the" powders for the .308. Very few rifles will shoot Varget poorly and another powder much better.

I have zero experience with SIG brass, so I have zero clue about case capacity...but as long as you start a few grains below max charge as recommended by Hodgdon, you shouldn't blow your face off.

as a matter of fact, I am going to bet that between 43.0 - 44.0gr Varget, you'll find your sweet spot. That happens about 80 percent of the time with guys and the 168gr SMK. I have a few .308s that I have 165gr Nosler BT loads for; one is a hammer at 43.0, the other at 43.5gr Varget.

One of your biggest accuracy factors will be bullet jump with the secant ogive of the SST. You can play with charge weights or jump first, I always did jump testing first. Load a few rounds at .010, .040, .070, and .100" off the lands, and I'm sure you'll see a preference for jump in your groups. From there I play with charge weights. If you don't have the $40 seating depth guage from Hornady, I'd consider it a worthwhile investment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom