.308 moly amax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a little over 500 hornady
20230130_185014.jpg
168gr amax not realizing they were Moly coated. Anyone prefer these of regular copper? I have zero experience with them and don't really know if I want to try them or not.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to shoot nothing but Moly, but got away from it over the years as it was just a mess to clean up.

They are not going to hurt anything. Might even try to sell them and get some funds back. I had a load with H335 that would shoot lights out in just about anything I shot them in.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Moly became the rage in the early 2000's. I know that when I competed in military service rifle competitions, we used moly-coated bullets.

Don't quote me because it has been over 20 years now, but I think we were using moly because we thought it fouled less (didn't leave copper in the barrel). Within a couple years though, people started realizing that the moly was being deposited, and just about as fast as it arrived, moly left the scene.

Use with confidence...just make sure you fully clean your barrel remove all of the copper before using these bullets. Otherwise you'll basically seal the copper in with the moly.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Moly became the rage in the early 2000's. I know that when I competed in military service rifle competitions, we used moly-coated bullets.

Don't quote me because it has been over 20 years now, but I think we were using moly because we thought it fouled less (didn't leave copper in the barrel). Within a couple years though, people started realizing that the moly was being deposited, and just about as fast as it arrived, moly left the scene.

Use with confidence...just make sure you fully clean your barrel remove all of the copper before using these bullets. Otherwise you'll basically seal the copper in with the moly.
I've read that it's supposed to trap moisture between the barrel and the moly if not cleaned out. No proof of this on my end. Could be one of those internet things.

I used it to cut down on heat. Especially when raining hell on a prairie dog town. It did help keep heat down.

Wondering if the sudden stop was due to digital bore scopes becoming main stream?

Latest posts

Top Bottom