.308 Muzzle Brake recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Need a different muzzle brake for my RPR when shooting 175grain. Hoping someone knows of something that helps you actually see hits on target. Suppressor is a possibility in a few months but for now I need a much better brake.

The factory one that came on my rifle is superb on 150grain ammo, but when shooting at larger distances I can’t see where my bullets hit with 175’s.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chambers that divert the blast back at an angle are generally better. The article and videos linked to TTAG cover just about everything you'd want to read/watch.

Those angled brakes though Usually require double ear protection, or you'll start to distract yourself anticipating report. I absolutely wear ear pro when I'm hunting with a braked .308.

Here's a hog hunting video showing an 18" .308 and VG6 brake. Don't mind the crappy editing etc... it'll show you the recoil standing off of shooting sticks.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chambers that divert the blast back at an angle are generally better. The article and videos linked to TTAG cover just about everything you'd want to read/watch.

Those angled brakes though Usually require double ear protection, or you'll start to distract yourself anticipating report. I absolutely wear ear pro when I'm hunting with a braked .308.

Here's a hog hunting video showing an 18" .308 and VG6 brake. Don't mind the crappy editing etc... it'll show you the recoil standing off of shooting sticks.

That’s the truth about the hearing protection. I went hunting one time with a brake. Never again. I figure my 7” ak with a brake would be relatively similar to running a 308 with an aggressive brake. It’s downright abusive.
68C3C8F7-C27B-4F66-853C-326F8E3A8386.jpeg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s the truth about the hearing protection. I went hunting one time with a brake. Never again. I figure my 7” ak with a brake would be relatively similar to running a 308 with an aggressive brake. It’s downright abusive. View attachment 264489
I agree. I won't take anyone hunting more than once that uses a brake.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone who shows up with a Mossberg ported shotgun to duck hunt with me.........gets to use my backup gun, sit in the truck, or go home lol. And they're not nearly as bad a brake on a rifle.

Anyway to change your rest or add weight to your rifle rather than a brake?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Need a different muzzle brake for my RPR when shooting 175grain. Hoping someone knows of something that helps you actually see hits on target. Suppressor is a possibility in a few months but for now I need a much better brake.

The factory one that came on my rifle is superb on 150grain ammo, but when shooting at larger distances I can’t see where my bullets hit with 175’s.
You see hits with 150gr but not 175gr? Recoil? Or just too far away and you want something with less recoil? Anyone with you that can spot?

Figure out near term if you're gonna suppress the rifle. If not, you can go find a comp only. If you are, research suppressors and their adapters. Adapters are almost always a brake or comp and they still function even inside a suppressor.

Comp only: Make sure the comp/brake doesn't jet unevenly. Tight bore does this. Do your research because everybody is an expert.

Suppressed: Make sure your suppressor and adapter work together AND when unsuppressed. Again, tight bores/shoddy unprecise machining on adapters. Just because the adapter/comp is expensive doesn't mean it's any good. It just means it's expensive.

I won't opine on brand because that's like throwing a lit match on gasoline in this forum-see expert comment

Latest posts

Top Bottom