308 Rifle Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSUFLYBOY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good evening y'all,

I have a question that I hope OSA can help me with. I am thinking of acquiring a new rifle, a handy/ranch bolt action rifle in 308 (sometime next year after things go back to normal, no rush).

I want it light weight, synthetic stock, 16" barrel, take detachable magpul 308 mags, with a threaded barrel to take hiders and maybe a can one day. What rifle/manufacturer do y'all suggest?

Ruger has the American Rifle, but I don't see the Ranch model in 308, unless I over looked it, with MSRP around 550. Main use will be a light weight General Purpose rifle for close to intermediate range work, say 0-500y.

I will more than likely use a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 scope on it to cope with targets from across a house/back yard to across a field and figure a 1x8 power scope will do that job nicely.

I would like the whole package to be around a grand (before tax), but a bit higher is okay for a good rifle. The Vortex scope is around 450 with rings, so that leaves 550 for a rifle, but up to 700 is justifiable.

So, do y'all have any suggestions on a rifle/manufacturer and an optic other than the Strike Eagle??

Thank you for any suggestions, y'all be safe out there!

"Watch your six, count your rounds, and keep your powder dry."

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know much about the rifle you're looking for but I do have the scope with mount that you're talking about sitting on top of my safe I'm not using. Only taken out of the box to fiddle with. I have one on my Colt ar15a4mp-fde and I really like it. I was going to put it on my first build but decided I'm going short barrel with a red dot instead.

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bit more than you said but how about a 12.5" barrel pistol with brace?
(I really want one of these in Blackout)
https://grabagun.com/remington-700-cp-308-win-12-5-barrel-10-rounds.html

96818-700-CP-Armbrace_1440.jpg

Shooter64

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pigs just showed up at our deer lease, so I was wanting nearly the same setup.
Light, short and reasonably priced. I bought a used Savage Scout rifle, I think it’s like second generation, with accustock and AccuTrigger. It doesn’t however take magpul mags. I think the latest model does.
“Descouted” it, took adjustable cheek piece, forward scope rail, Ching sling and muzzle break off.
Now it’s a 161/2” 308 Winchester, with peep sight, 10 round magazine and just nylon sling.
It will take any standard scope base if you remove peep sight, but gonna try peep sights for a while.
Should be great for truck, side by side and corner of blind while bow hunting if a hog shows up.
I’m into it for less than $450.00
Just a thought! Lol
Kris

Last edited:

DSUFLYBOY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, you found her! That is the configuration I was talking about. I would prefer a more traditional/simplistic stock, BUT Magpul does make good stuff, AND being so adjustable may come in handy.

Thank you ALL for your input and recommendations. If any body else wants to chime in, please do. I am looking to buy sometime next year, so i have time to burn researching more.

Thanks again y'all.

"Watch your six, count your rounds, and keep your powder dry."