308 Rifle Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSUFLYBOY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have looked at those as well. they seem nice. I am sure you get a little more precision out of a bolt than an ar-10 platform, but ease of use and having 18 rounds semi-auto is pretty nice.

I went the cheap route with the ATN x-sight pro 4k. It has some neat features, like a one shot zero and recording that i like. The glass is not great, but definitely usable inside of 500m. Hell, inside 250m it is more than fine. I got a amazon warehouse deal on it that brought it down to like 400 bucks, so i really can't complain that it doesn't look like a 1000 dollar scope in day mode. It is a 3-14, but realistically 10x is about as much as i would crank it before it starts falling apart visually. The illuminator it came with will paint to 200m just fine, but i hear an upgrade there will get you out to 400m. It should be nice for hog hunting at night. Definitely nicer than any night vision we had available in desert storm. Things have come a long ways.

As to upgrading it, probably just the illuminator right now and i will leave it set up for night hunting. The one shot zero feature is just pretty damn cool. You set up your bullet profile, then go take a shot. You set your poa at the shot hole then move the crosshair to your target. In one shot it will correct to within an inch from what i have found. My wife managed to ring steel within 3 shots at 1000m with the scope on an ar-10, so all in all pretty usable and fun. Also, it saved that shot on video that i uploaded to my computer and edited. Now she has a video of ringing that steel on her phone. Cool feature. I planned on using it to fix screwups on my part, but went with a 5x prism for day stuff. It is on the bulky side, but i guess that is the price you pay for night vision.
DevilDog88, THANK YOU for the information Sir!! Very detailed, I appreciate that.

When I was in the Corps in the late 90's the NVG's we had were pretty good, but I understand that the tech has progressed substantially.

I'll definitely look into the setup you described, I like all the features you mentioned.

Thanks again for your help!

"Watch your six, count your rounds, and keep your powder dry."

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my Ruger Gunsite Scout 308. It would be a great choice. I thought that forward 'scout scope' was a little funky at first but I LOVE it now. It's almost like using a red dot only with magnification......both eyes open , comes into view immediately. I use this most of the time with a suppressor and subsonic ammo.....very quite.
DSCN3985.JPG

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Year old thread back from the dead. Personally, I liked my howa heavy barrel varmiter .308. It was way more accurate than I was. The factory trigger was sublime.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a 762x39 Ruger American ranch it’s a primary arms 1-6 BDC LVPO on it. 16” barrel, threaded, lightweight. I can use 5, 10, or 20rd mini 30 mags with it. Hits 1-1.5 Moa with steel case crap ammo, better with good loads. Aside from being x39 vs x51, it’s a 30 cal rifle that fits your desired needs perfectly, if you havent found what you need. I have considered getting a Ruger American in 308, model doesn’t matter, and dropping it into a magpul stock so I can use box mags with it. They make custom barrels for it so length, profile, and threading doesn’t matter.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The original post stated he was looking to get a rifle some time next year when things get back to normal.
That was a year ago.
Are things back to normal??
Not yet.

Did you @DSUFLYBOY get a .308 yet?