32 calibur ammo question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter_55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been asked by someone before but I have a question about my wife's H & R Inc Model 732 32 S & W L caliber revolver.

What is the difference between the 32 the ammo for the Revolver and the 32 auto ammo? Can the 32 auto be shot safely in the revolver? We inherited this revolver from my deceased Mother-in-law back in 1998. I helped her purchase it around 1982 or soon after. I notice that the casing is a little thicker in the Revolver shell at the base than the 32 auto shell.

Thanks for any help.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's always advisable and usually best to stick with the ammo that the gun is chambered in. There are rare exceptions where you can fire different ammo than the gun chamber Ing but if you're not sure, don't try it.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 32 ACP case doesn't have a rim so it won't work in a revolver. 32 S&W Long is not too terribly hard to locate. You probably won't find it at Walmart but most gun shops should carry it. You can also order it from any of the large online ammo vendors.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't jack around with different ammo for guns designed for something else. You can blow up stuff that won't grow back. .32 is fun to shoot, but extrememely marginal for self defense.

CB

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 32 ACP case doesn't have a rim so it won't work in a revolver. 32 S&W Long is not too terribly hard to locate. You probably won't find it at Walmart but most gun shops should carry it. You can also order it from any of the large online ammo vendors.

Actually the .32ACP is a "semi-rimmed" cartridge and will fit and fire in a .32L revolver. Not saying it's a safe practice, but it can be done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom