338-06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a couple threads on it at accurate shooter (a while back) and on the hide. Not sure what you'll find on the hide as it changed platforms several times.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using-hunting with the 338/06 since I built my rifle in 1984. Mine is specifically a 338/06 Ackley Improved.

I got the Barrel from Chick Donnelly in Murphy OR. Donnelly was Parker Ackley's son in law and used Ackleys Barrel making equipment. The Day I picked the barrel up Ackley was in shop. He looked over my barrel and pronounced the barrel a good one. Sadly both men have passed on.

I built my rifle on Columbian 30-06 Mauser action and stocked it with a piece of Oregon Myrtlewood. This gun was the first of my three gun projects I needed to build for college.

I have hunted all over with this rifle. I used it mainly deer. Deer, muley's and whitetail-a good number of them. I also took a moose with this rifle, and a couple of antelope. It crumples coyotes. I have killed a lot of game with this rifle. Several deer have been shot in the 350-400 yard range, but only from solid rest. I don't recall any wounded animal with this gun nor the need for a second shot.

For the moose hunt the Guide told me to keep shooting until my gun was empty or the moose dropped. I didn't feel the need for the additional shots on the moose but followed instructions and fired all three roundsin gun with hits at 40 yards, 70-80 yards and 100 or so yards. No bullets were recovered. all passed through.

I have tried a lot of different bullet weights, but seem to have settled on Sierra 250 Grain Gamekings as my favorite bullet. I haven't tried any of the newer bullets.

Here is the moose heart with hole through it.

. heartshot.jpg

When I built the gun I used GI Lake City Match 30-06 brass. In the lab I was able to to get just over 3000 fps per seconds with this bullet. Several of my classmates built standard 338/06's, not Improved and were getting 2800-2900 fps with this same bullet and GI brass. We all got slower velocities with commercial brass. I am still using those original LC Match cases from nearly 40 years ago, today.

This a great cartridge, I will never understand why Remington-Winchester-Ruger never SAAMI approved and built this cartridge.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is an inventory tag. I maintain a spreadsheet listing all my guns for my will. The tag is the guns number from the spreadsheet. The listing is more description than value. I also listed people who have expressed specific interest in a gun. That person has first right of refusal.

This will help the kids when they send all my junk to auction. I am 74 now so start watching for that auction in 20-25 years or so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom