338-06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you notice the 26 inch barrel? Most people build .338/06's with 24" or 22" field or brush guns. The group of us at school who built these guns all did the longer barrels and got the higher velocities. Most of my hunting before coming Oklahoma has been spot and stalk. That Long barrel is a pain moving through brush. But in open country the extra velocity helps.

I can not find all my papers from 35 years agon on this gun which includes targets, so can't speak specifically to accuracy . I tend get rid of hunting guns that won't give MOA for 3 shots. Modern guns that is, some of my antique guns are hard pressed to do 4" in 3 shots.

For this "tree stand" hunting done here in OK in open country or thin brush with shots beyond 200 yards, you could do well with longer barrel.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never got around to taking any game with it but I had a scoped 15" 338-06 Encore handgun barrel from SSK a few years back with a OAL of 15 1/2" counting the muzzle brake that would group around 1 1/2" off bags consistently at 100 yds........it was accurate and fun to shoot but because of the recoil about 20 to 25 rounds per range session is about all I wanted and it did tend to draw a crowd on the firing line. :)

Kept the barrel for a year or so and then went to a 15" 35 Whelen barrel but that's a story for another day.

In the 338-06 I was using;

51.0 grs. of Varget
CCI BR-2 primers
225 gr. Hornady SST's

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If some of you guys are so inclined, I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear some more of your hunting stories.

Awesome thread BTW.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you notice the 26 inch barrel? Most people build .338/06's with 24" or 22" field or brush guns. The group of us at school who built these guns all did the longer barrels and got the higher velocities. Most of my hunting before coming Oklahoma has been spot and stalk. That Long barrel is a pain moving through brush. But in open country the extra velocity helps.

I can not find all my papers from 35 years agon on this gun which includes targets, so can't speak specifically to accuracy . I tend get rid of hunting guns that won't give MOA for 3 shots. Modern guns that is, some of my antique guns are hard pressed to do 4" in 3 shots.

For this "tree stand" hunting done here in OK in open country or thin brush with shots beyond 200 yards, you could d
Why YES. that is the FIRST thing I noticed. I am a sucker for those 26" Inch barrels. i Have 2 stock Winchesters, a lever with a 28" and a bolt with a 26" and I dearly love both of those things. I guess you can say I am a Size Matters Kind of guy.
Beautiful rifle by the way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom