350 legend Reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Well every darn time I say no more calibers, somehow one follows me home! ha. This time it was a AR in 350 legend. I bought a bunch of the 145gr Winchester factory stuff for break in, as well as some other factory rounds for baseline testing.

Being a reloader, I plan to work up a load with a bunch of 147gr HST .355 projectiles I have (im not planning on using it on deer, so the ethical part of bullet construction isn't at issue).

Anyone have experience specifically reloading with this caliber in an AR platform?

I made some test loads with H110 and Lilgun and both were blowing primers (and one stuck case) at and just below hodgdon/lee load data start loads. Kind of scratching my head, but any insight you guys may have or experience on loading this caliber in an AR platform would be greatly appreciated!

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish I could help, but I haven't even seen one of those rounds in person yet, much less loaded any of them! Best of luck. Hopefully you'll find a forum out there that has some info.

A quick search found that in the 2020 Hodgdon reloading manual, there is a section dedicated to loading the 350 Legend.
And it's on sale right now:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022296214

9f20d34adf.jpg

Best of luck.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish I could help, but I haven't even seen one of those rounds in person yet, much less loaded any of them! Best of luck. Hopefully you'll find a forum out there that has some info.

A quick search found that in the 2020 Hodgdon reloading manual, there is a section dedicated to loading the 350 Legend.
And it's on sale right now:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022296214

9f20d34adf.jpg

Best of luck.
Yep, its hodgdon's data thats led to blown primers and one stuck case. Thats why I was scratching my head so hard! haha. Figured maybe ill get lucky and someone else will have already encountered this issue as well and maybe have some insight.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had never heard of this caliber till I picked up a piece of brass at the range. At first I thought it was 30 carbine, then a friend of mine told me that there was an AR platform that it could be used in.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t understand the appeal of this cartridge. I do understand the desire for it in States that limit hunting certain game to straight wall cases.

What does it do that a similar weight bullet out of a similar platform won’t? 300BLK for example.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t understand the appeal of this cartridge. I do understand the desire for it in States that limit hunting certain game to straight wall cases.

What does it do that a similar weight bullet out of a similar platform won’t? 300BLK for example.

In my opinion, the 350 Legend out performs the 300 BLK on short range whitetail. It packs quite the punch with 170gr bullets.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion, the 350 Legend out performs the 300 BLK on short range whitetail. It packs quite the punch with 170gr bullets.
Exactly. After chron testing even the mild factory loads, all of them outperform the 300. Plus the “hole” is bigger (.355 versus .308) than the 300 so it will have a larger wound even if it doesn’t expand. Plus it will “hit harder” due to the wider flat nose versus more traditional pointed projectiles generally seen in the 300. It’s also much cheaper to load than the 300 bo. Of course there will always be exceptions to the rules, but after researching a long while, I Decided 350 was for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom