350 legend Reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn’t below enough to cause that kind of pressure spike. I started .5grs below their stated charge because I was using a different projectile. After chrono testing the start load, I found it To be much faster than I was actually wanting to do, so I tried .5gr less (26.5gr versus 27gr) to see if the primers and/groups improved.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whelp, figured it out. Dumb rook mistake, and I’ll be the first to admit it! HA. So, I’m used to load all of my rounds with a mild crimp because that’s just how I was taught. So when I set up the dies I adjusted for the same. However, what I did not take into account was when I subsequently adjusted my seating depth, the mouth now lined up with the cannelure, meaning the same amount of crimp pressure moved the mouth more inward than it was before. Normally, that’s not an issue, but this round headspaces on the case mouth (similar to .30 carbine). So basically, my error was allowing it to ever so slightly nudge the lip of the case mouth deeper in the chamber than it should be, causing erratics pressure spikes upon firing.

I confirmed this today by backing my crimp off and testing the same charges today and all were perfect pressure wise.

I spose the best part of loading is you never stop learning and being reminded that no matter how season you are, anyone can make rookie errors! Haha.

Latest posts

Top Bottom