350 SBC Pops and Dies When Put in Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similiar problem to this on a customer's '74 Chevy pickup. After much hair pulling, the issue turned out to be the oil pump!! The bypass wasn't working and it would pump up the hydraulic lifters too much when the engine was revved up or it idled too long. Only time I ever encountered this!

Good luck!

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
jack up a rear wheel take a load off the engine. give it a chance to pump some lube in the auto trans. when i was a kid & bought a auto trans at savage yard they said jack up a rear wheel .

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lean towards constricted exhaust too. My dad had a SBC 400 that did this when I was a kid. Ran and revved fine in park and neutral. Would barely move in gear. After points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter and a carb rebuild it was not fixed. Turned out that the exhaust had two layers and the inner was shot. Had crumbled and plugged up the muffler also make sure it doesn’t have frozen heat riser if they still used them in 1980. They were notorious for rusting closed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom