357 ammo has been a bit hard to find but I grab when I see it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
357 mag ammo has been hard to find without taking out a mortgage, but from time to time you do. Found this on line and it has just been posted when I sucked it up. 200 rounds at a decent price considering the times. Of all the stash of ammo I have, the least has been the 357 Mag and 38 sp. I continue to build on them and should have them up to my number soon.
I also found CCI large hand gun primers at a local mom and pop. Bought all they had which was 1000.
Here's the 357

Attachments

• 357 mag ammo.JPG
    357 mag ammo.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 50

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you not live in OKC? Just about every time I go into Bass Pro or Cabelas, they have magnum LPP.
Don't live in the OKC. It's more the price than anything else. I was at Cabela's the other day to pick up my Henry 223/556 long ranger and did buy a bit of this and that. Don't need Mag primers and if 357 mag was available, I didn't see it. They did have a good supply of other stuff (no powder except black)
It's a 2 hour drive to Cabela's but my thorasic surgeon(s), cancer dude and others...ha....are just down the road on Memorial so I get to stop buy a lot.
Nice people at the gun counter.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago when primers were cheap and plentiful. I bought a couple bricks of SPM primers by accident. Thought I was getting SPP so I kept them and went back and got a couple bricks of the right stuff. Just recently ran out of 357 mag reloads )’so fired up the Dillon and made some 158 gn with several different powder combinations. Been real happy with wad cutters in the 38 spl and looking for a recipe for 148 gn wad cutters for 357 mag.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago when primers were cheap and plentiful. I bought a couple bricks of SPM primers by accident. Thought I was getting SPP so I kept them and went back and got a couple bricks of the right stuff. Just recently ran out of 357 mag reloads )’so fired up the Dillon and made some 158 gn with several different powder combinations. Been real happy with wad cutters in the 38 spl and looking for a recipe for 148 gn wad cutters for 357 mag.
Reloading Data Center

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used 13 grain of 296 on the first batch with a 180 gr hard cast bullet.
I loaded a batch of 357 mag with 296 and a 158 gn FMJ Rn. Can’t remember the exact powder charge but I could go to my log book and look it up. I started low and walked it up to find a fun accurate recipe. I found that 296 was very flashy. A buddy videoed me shooting and there was a very distinct ball of flame even at the bottom end of the powder charges. But it knocked those steel plates down so hard they almost bounced back into place.

9E99D0B7-BAC2-4EB1-A801-18C1105F3D87.jpeg

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a pretty fair amount of .357 in my 4" stainless GP-100 but I favor 125 gr. JHP and JSP bullets and W231.........doesn't seem to matter the brand of 125 gr. jacketed bullet 7.6grs. of W231 works really well.

Having some Alliant 2400 sitting around just for giggles I tried 16.6 grs. under some 125 gr.JSP's........very accurate, fair amount more recoil than W231 and the fireball is very impressive. :)

Never have tried 180 gr. bullets but my accuracy load for 158 gr. jacketed bullets is 8.1 grs of Unique which is near max........both Speer #11 and Sierra # 5 show 8.2 grs. as max.

Latest posts

Top Bottom