357 reloads in revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also with regard to 231 and 2400, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum for handgun powder. 231 is a relatively fast burning powder and should be all consumed by the time the bullet leaves the barrel even with the 3" barrel. My Son and I shoot a variety of handgun caliber carbines and over the years have found specific loads for the longer carbine barrels for each caliber we load. He has a Berretta 40 caliber carbine, (I call it his space gun). We developed loads for it using AA#7 which is a pretty slow powder for handguns, using some of the black moly coated hard cast bullets that gave an increase of about two hundred FPS over what we were getting out of pistol loads. The slower burning powder coupled with the slicker bullets got us there. Lots of fun working up loads like that. The chronograph is absolutely essential when working up loads as we can compare our handloads with factory velocities and published velocities in the loading manuals, since we don't have an easy method of measuring pressure. Knowing that when you are close to published data for a given load with your chronograph, you can be fairly certain that your pressures are close within those published for that caliber/bullet/powder combination. Not a hundred percent, but pretty darn close, better than flying blind.
Edit to add an afterthought... I have never in all my years of loading had to trim a straight wall pistol case. Bottleneck cases yes, but from 25acp through 50AE I have never had one grow to need trimming. I keep loading the brass until I get a split case mouth, then it goes into the scrap bin...

Latest posts

Top Bottom