.357 sig ammo question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonfishin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father inlaw bought a box of. 357 sig ammo he thought it was .357 mag well I have been doing some reading on the .357 sig and they use a .40 Cal brass casing so I have a xd40 I put one in the mag and chambered it and it went right in will it hurt the gun to shoot them I know its a stupid question but I have to ask

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father inlaw bought a box of. 357 sig ammo he thought it was .357 mag well I have been doing some reading on the .357 sig and they use a .40 Cal brass casing so I have a xd40 I put one in the mag and chambered it and it went right in will it hurt the gun to shoot them I know its a stupid question but I have to ask

Yeah, don't do it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Um No do NOT fire them out of the gun............... but you can get a .357 conversion barrel for many .40 platforms out there. Generally, the mags work just fine.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't fire the 357 Sig in your .40. That would be bad, to say the least, haha.

But most .40s (HK USPc, Glocks, presumably XDs) have aftermarket (or even just straight form the manufacturer) barrels for 357 Sig that usually fit right in.

I know that with my HK I can just get the 357 barrel, replace the .40 barrel, and rock and roll. With my gun at least, there is no changing of magazines or springs. I plan on using 357 Sig next winter. Based on my research of the round it will be a better penetrator (considering heavy coats) than the .40, which I'll still carry in the summer.

Search around and you should be able to find a replacement barrel, drop it in, and have some fun with the same round that protects the President of the United States.