36" diameter steel pipe ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I might get me some and I think it is very heavy.. could it be worth making a smoker or grill or 2.
I usually use flat steel.
And only 1/8 " stuff.. this 36" round is another character I am sure as the thin .250" wall is 95.7 pounds per foot.

You guys ever tangle with stuff like that??

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some 24" .750 wall stuff on Facebook last year from some pipeliner in El Reno. Made some real nice, incredibly heavy fire pits for a few buddies. 18" tall section with .25" dom steel legs ended up weighing some odd +/- 340 lbs per unit. Cut out some grill grates on a friends plasma table, made for a good backyard camp grill, but they turned out way too heavy to move around.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I might get me some and I think it is very heavy.. could it be worth making a smoker or grill or 2.
I usually use flat steel.
And only 1/8 " stuff.. this 36" round is another character I am sure as the thin .250" wall is 95.7 pounds per foot.

You guys ever tangle with stuff like that??
Helped a buddy build a monster smoker once that was 12' long with three doors on the side for access to the cooking grates using 42" pipe. Welded a firebox on the end and a stack at the other end. Took forever to get up to cooking temps but once it did, it held the heat like a champ with the 3/8" wall thickness. The last door before the stack was the coolest of course, and was basically used for keeping meat warm, the other two were pretty close in temps. That thing was incredibly heavy though. He hauled it around on a tandem trailer that was custom built for it.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have something like this in mind?

The cooking box is 1/4” while the fire box is 3/8”.

AE7E4500-80BC-44BA-85B0-A275726A3E5C.jpeg

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the one I built on the trailer I got from you. The thickness of the propane tank is about the same as you described. I built the firebox out of 1/2” plate because I wanted to be able to build a lot of heat. I think you could build a smoker that you would be happy with.

A754F220-3388-4222-833B-9DAC858512EC.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the one I built on the trailer I got from you. The thickness of the propane tank is about the same as you described. I built the firebox out of 1/2” plate because I wanted to be able to build a lot of heat. I think you could build a smoker that you would be happy with.

View attachment 144848
Nice looking cooker!

Latest posts

Top Bottom