.38-40 WCF - Seen Any?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

60lark8

New to the site!
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any 38 40 WCF locally? Looking to take my old 1892 out, and I'm wary of purchasing online. Thanks for your time.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't remember ever seeing 38-40 on the shelf, not that I ever really looked for it before though.

Saw your note yesterday and did specifically look while in the OKC Cabela's today, no joy.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to get into reloading :D

60lark8

New to the site!
Reaction score
I can't remember ever seeing 38-40 on the shelf, not that I ever really looked for it before though.

Saw your note yesterday and did specifically look while in the OKC Cabela's today, no joy.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to get into reloading :D

It sure does! Now just to figure it out.. :). I have a pal with a Lee ..press? One of the parts, at least. He told me I would just need the right die, powder, brass, and measurements and I could borrow it. Sounds about right? Or know of a good source online for a reloading newb?

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sure does! Now just to figure it out.. :). I have a pal with a Lee ..press? One of the parts, at least. He told me I would just need the right die, powder, brass, and measurements and I could borrow it. Sounds about right? Or know of a good source online for a reloading newb?

A good place to start would be the Reloading forum here on OSA. One of the first items there is a sticky thread called "Reloading FAQs", once you're done with that one then you can scroll down to the thread "What would it take?", last posted to on 12/04/2015.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both 38-40 and 44-40 are a bit tricky to reload. They have very thin case mouths and are very easy to crumple during the crimping stage. I would highly recommend getting a Lee Factory Crimp die, and do your seating and crimping in separate steps. Do not use large rifle primers, only use large pistol primers. Pistol primers are a tad shorter and will seat deeper into the pocket. This is important when loading a tubular style magazine rifle like your '92.
Check Starline for brass, they make good stuff.
For the ultimate load, Goex Express BP or Swiss BP will give you the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom