.38 Police Speciall W/Hair Trigger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a .38 Police Special for $175.00 at a State Fairground gun show in the early nineties and it has a hair trigger. I'd like to return the trigger to normal and do't want to buy a trigger kit for around $175.00. Is there anyway I could file it a bit to restore the trigger to specs? I don't want to ruin the weapon.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a .38 Police Special for $175.00 at a State Fairground gun show in the early nineties and it has a hair trigger. I'd like to return the trigger to normal and do't want to buy a trigger kit for around $175.00. Is there anyway I could file it a bit to restore the trigger to specs? I don't want to ruin the weapon.
I’m curious what your definition of “hair trigger” is. Is the gun unsafe?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m curious what your definition of “hair trigger” is. Is the gun unsafe?
Hair trigger....someone told me it had one many years ago. A cop apparently "tuned it up" to suit him and his needs. It isn't unsafe just not original. I've always thought about tinkering with it and somehow getting it to where it has a normal trigger pull. If worse comes to worse, I'll take it partially apart and grease the mechanism. I am not a gun expert by any means and what may be a hair trigger to me may be perfectly acceptable to someone else. I'll probably clean it a bit and grease it.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't grease anything, it attracts dirt and lint and anything else that might fall down in there. The oil eventually gums everything up in there and then you will have real problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom