.38 Special Cowboy Load in .357 Brass Question/Concern

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m trying to work up a cowboy load that my Henry 357 rifle will like. I’m using N320 powder and SWC bullets. For 38 special, the load data states that the velocity will be 886 fps for the starting load which is what I want. The load data is based on a 6 1/2” barrel. My rifle doesn’t like 38 special, and I can’t find a good 357 magnum recipe for a cowboy load using N320. So can I use the same load recipe in 357 brass? From my understanding, a concern in using a 38 special light load in a 357 case is that the possibility exists for sticking a bullet in the bore. My thinking is that with the 38 special load being shot out of the rifle, the velocity will be increased which would eliminate the concern of sticking a bullet. Am I right in this thinking or am I not thinking about it correctly?

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't use that light a load in 357 brass. It's possible you could get flashover and a case detonation. Do you have 38 special brass? If so, you can seat the bullets longer and usually it will solve feeding issues.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't use that light a load in 357 brass. It's possible you could get flashover and a case detonation. Do you have 38 special brass? If so, you can seat the bullets longer and usually it will solve feeding issues.
I’ve got plenty of 38 special brass. I’ll play around with seating the bullets longer. Thanks for the info

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot thousands of rounds of 38 and 357 brass through my 357 6" revolver.
I have used the same load in the books for 38 special as I have in the 357 brass.
Talking reduced loads.

But those powders were not slow powders.
The slowest was AA#5 and I have used HP38 and 231 and reduced them.
Red Dot and Bullseye were used in those same cases 38 and 357 cases and reduced those to make the bullet barely exit the barrel.
Those last 2 powders are very fast.

That detonation issue many talk about is reserved for large volume cases in rifle with slow powders.
The volume difference between 38 special and 357 is not an issue with a fast powder.

I do not think I would reduce H110 or 296 powder though.
That powder is a bit slow and I would not worry about detonation with it but sticking a bullet in the barrel running it reduced.

Lets look at 2400 powder I have used 14 gr in 357 magnum cases and 14 gr in 30-30 cases.
No detonation issues and that is a lot of extra space.

I have used 3 gr of Bullseye and Red dot in .308 cases No filler and no detonation issues. Hundreds of rounds shot.
I used 1.7 gr Bullseye in 357 cases to fire lap my 686 that was just enough to get the Alox coated gas checked rolled in grit 170gr bullet down the barrel and out.
I tried .5 gr and stuck the bullet that was harder cast but the pure soft lead ones would shoot right out.

That is way reduced but again fast powder.
Your 320 powder is faster than some powders that I load 38 loads in 357 cases.

The worst I have seen with reduced loads is dirty barrel unburnt powder and a stuck bullet.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot thousands of rounds of 38 and 357 brass through my 357 6" revolver.
I have used the same load in the books for 38 special as I have in the 357 brass.
Talking reduced loads.

But those powders were not slow powders.
The slowest was AA#5 and I have used HP38 and 231 and reduced them.
Red Dot and Bullseye were used in those same cases 38 and 357 cases and reduced those to make the bullet barely exit the barrel.
Those last 2 powders are very fast.

That detonation issue many talk about is reserved for large volume cases in rifle with slow powders.
The volume difference between 38 special and 357 is not an issue with a fast powder.

I do not think I would reduce H110 or 296 powder though.
That powder is a bit slow and I would not worry about detonation with it but sticking a bullet in the barrel running it reduced.

Lets look at 2400 powder I have used 14 gr in 357 magnum cases and 14 gr in 30-30 cases.
No detonation issues and that is a lot of extra space.

I have used 3 gr of Bullseye and Red dot in .308 cases No filler and no detonation issues. Hundreds of rounds shot.
I used 1.7 gr Bullseye in 357 cases to fire lap my 686 that was just enough to get the Alox coated gas checked rolled in grit 170gr bullet down the barrel and out.
I tried .5 gr and stuck the bullet that was harder cast but the pure soft lead ones would shoot right out.

That is way reduced but again fast powder.
Your 320 powder is faster than some powders that I load 38 loads in 357 cases.

The worst I have seen with reduced loads is dirty barrel unburnt powder and a stuck bullet.
Thanks for the info on your first hand experience. Your response is what I was hoping to hear.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see any listings for N320. My cowboy loads are Trail Boss, Unique and Bullseye.
I didn't care for the Bullseye. Herco, 4227 and 2400 work well.

To use your .357 cases, up your powder charge .3-.4 gr. Or seat y our bullet to .357 length, using .38 brass.

I have a good stash of Trail Boss. I would sell or trade. I am hoping to make the Wed lunch. Will depend on how Wif's surgery goes, on Monday

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m trying to work up a cowboy load that my Henry 357 rifle will like. I’m using N320 powder and SWC bullets. For 38 special, the load data states that the velocity will be 886 fps for the starting load which is what I want. The load data is based on a 6 1/2” barrel. My rifle doesn’t like 38 special, and I can’t find a good 357 magnum recipe for a cowboy load using N320. So can I use the same load recipe in 357 brass? From my understanding, a concern in using a 38 special light load in a 357 case is that the possibility exists for sticking a bullet in the bore. My thinking is that with the 38 special load being shot out of the rifle, the velocity will be increased which would eliminate the concern of sticking a bullet. Am I right in this thinking or am I not thinking about it correctly?
Do you intend to use these for Cowboy Action Shooting, or just looking for a mild load?

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Accurate Arms loading guide #1
451EE0F7-9955-45E9-AEC3-B334EF5E29A5.jpeg

Hodgdon #26

95B0A9CC-0FDF-44A4-B9D3-1DC722468B4C.jpeg

There is a data sheet out there that has powders burn rate listed fastest to slowest.

And there is instructions for using that list and the known load data for a substitute powder!

I have it printed out, but its current whereabouts eludes me at this time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom